Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More fires

Drew Wiley

Re: More fires

What's the big fire to the south of there, around SEKI? We don't hear much up here. Of course, we've got the monster one between Berryessa and Clear Lake which has now jumped the highway, but the wind is blowing north, so smoke is no longer visible here on the Bay. I've given up on Calif and am backpacking out
    of state this month at least. But SEKI is on my sights next month.

Cabin Fire burning southeast of Peck's Cabin - my old stomping grounds.

Last time I was there the cabin's owner helped everyone out of the parking lot after a snowstorm... Except me.

First and last time my wife backpacked with me.

So far 0% contained, 0 (out of 1 total in the area) structures burned.

The fire is being minimally managed because it is in a wilderness area.

Drew Wiley

Thanks. So any of that smoke would probably siphon up Kern Can. Of course, a month from now there could be other new fires. But I hope to be up the S. Fork
    of the Kings then. I always have alternate destinations any of these summers, just in case of fire or weird weather.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Too many of these wild fires. We should make them illegal!
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Had a fire in the Catalina Mountains North of Tucson last week - we live at the base of the mountains and my wife said she could see it from our bedroom while I was out of town (in CA)

It was apparently started by lightning and fortunately the monsoon rains put it out after a couple of days. I think it burned a little under 1000 acres.

I flew across the central Sierra Thursday morning----no snow to be seen & the lakes pretty much dried up, or waaaay down.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

There is a 1,200 ac fire burning near Walker Lake in the Lee Vining-June Lakes area. It started yesterday. The campgrounds in Lee-Vining Canyon are currently closed. Highway 120 West (Tioga Pass) between Highway 395 and Blue Slide (approximately 5 miles up-canyon from Highway 395) is closed.

The fire is burning in mixed conifer, mountain mahogany and brush. It is 7% contained as of the time of this post.

Walker Fire Info.

Be safe out there, everyone.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Too many of these wild fires. We should make them illegal!
    Or schedule a workshop with Michael Fatali.

Drew Wiley

I passed over Tioga Pass Sat AM on the way back from a Nevada backpack trip. The June Lake fire has generated a LOT of smoke all over the East side of the
    range from Mono Lake down past the Mammoth Area. So I'd avoid that area entirely for awhile. The good news is that only a little of it has filtered over the top,
    slightly around Tenaya Lk. But otherwise, the Yosemite high country was very clear, though crowded along the roads, as usual this time of year. At lower
    elevations, like Yos Valley, there would be a lot of smog and control burn smoke. Passing cars headed that way, I'd estimate that some of the entry station lines were up to an hour long in miserable heat. But I had no problem the reverse direction. Only one car ahead of me at the Tioga entrance.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White