Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of opening a camera store - Am I crazy?

Thinking of opening a camera store - Am I crazy?

" it's been tough for such businesses to survive (thinking principally of Ken Hansen)"

Ken is still in business in NYC. He has no problem surviving. Neither do FotoCare, KB, Photo Habitat, Photo Gizzmmo, Lens & Repro, etc.

Note that while all sell used they all also sell new. Same with Midwest, Glazers, Gassers, K&S, Ken Mar, Kenmore, K&B,Cameras West, etc.

I worked part-time for about six months in a pro camera store as a fun job after I retired from my real job. I still visit the store and chat with the people there. My impression is that the store is doing very well with digital, the film department )new and used, mostly 35mm) isn't doing much, and what little medium and large format they had before is basically non-existant. They still carry a pretty good line of darkroom supplies but I think mainly because there are three colleges in the area that offer darkroom courses. Without that market I doubt that the darkroom stuff would still be there.

I don't think anybody can tell you how successfull your proposal might be without knowing a whole lot more than you've told us here, mainly about the size of your market and your projected expenses. FWIW, I think the equipment sales part (I have no experience with equipment and darkroom rentals) is viable for medium and large format only if you're in a very large metro area and/or can keep your overhead to a bare minimum and even then I'd forget medium format. It's sad to say but I think medium format is pretty much dead except for digital backs on medium format cameras and that market will be pretty limited until prices come way down.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, I disagree. I had little trouble finding a place in Greensboro, NC (about 80,000 population) that could process my 120 C-41 in house, on 2-day turn around, and stocks a pretty full selection of 120 size film. When local processing and film are this available in a relatively small town, I can't think of medium format as being dead.

Large format is another story -- I haven't seen sheet film anywhere but online since moving from Seattle.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I think the digital end may be the place to go. Selling used high end digital equipment. And offering rental use of this type of equipment. This stuff changes so fast that you will have more turnover then used analog stuff. And a lot of it is so expensive new that people can't afford it. Especially when the value drops so fast.

mike...

as a LF consumer, i hope you open the store and are enriched greatly by it. we can always use another jim. however, when you stated,

"I have no starry-eyed notion of large profits, or vacation homes, the only thing I want this store to do is pay for itself, let me spend scads of time in the darkroom, and fiddle with some new gear from time to time."

in your original post, have you given any thought to where you're going to find scads of time? the reason jim, jeff, and others are so successful is that they spend the time required giving personal attention and expertise to their customers. i know that's the reason i send my money to them. try to get jim on the phone today... i gaurantee you will end up in a queue, and not because he's in the darkroom. running a buisness like the one you're proposing will do anything but give you extra leisure time. if the 'survey' post a few threads back is any indication, there's plenty of money to be made in LF gear, but you need to go into this with both eyes open.

be sure to keep us abreast of your decisions.

Mike,
    I would initially follow Eugene's advice - start off with a virtual store on the web. Costs will be a lot lower for a start-up. You could then start having 'viewing' days where potential buyers can come and try out your kit. Personally I'd leave it there, especially for the market you are trying to enter. I doubt if there is any walk-in trade now for LF kit, certainly not enough to pay the rent of an outlet with sufficient passing traffic. If you can build up a decent reputation then word-of-mouth *way* bring sufficient trade to warrent a regular camera store.

I would treat the darkroom project as a separate business, all be it under the same name. You are dealing with a difference audience with different needs they are more likely to make an impulse (but lower value) purchase of paper, chemicals etc. Personally I think you are brave to consider such a venture in such litigations times, how soon before a client tries to sue after stubbing their toe in the dark, or deciding they have an alergy to any of the chemicals used?

Hi Mike! You never did mention where you are located :-)

You've gotten some good advice already - I would agree that beginning with a virtual storefront would be a very good way to test the waters and if things go well, sales from that will give you start-up capital for your retail store. You have also been given the secrets to success: Provide detailed information on the items you are selling; Provide excellent customer service; Be honest in your dealings; Do all of the above and create customer loyalty by consistently delivering knowledgable sales and service. You will be amazed at how successful you can be by simply applying those basic principles.

As for the retail aspect, I can tell you that there are three dedicated camera stores close to where I live (not counting Wolfs Camera - never liked those stores). Out of those three stores, there is one that I go to consistently because they apply the basic principles listed above. They know who I am and I know that if I have a problem, they've got my back. Do they cost more than shopping online? Of course, they do! They have overhead to deal with. But when I walk into their store, I know that I will be free to look, touch, and feel their stuff while being left alone. If I want to test something out - no problem. If I have a question, they are there. And probably the most important aspect is the fact that they are nice to me and they don't act as if I am an inconvenience.

Long post I know but my point is this. If you can deliver the goods and provide good service, then you will be successful whether your selling online or across the counter. Good luck to you!

By the way, you never mentioned where you are located ;-)

There is one camera store (plus two small Wolf cameras at the mall) where I live (city of about 150,000, metro area about 300,000). I would love to do business with them and would pay more to get customer service and to help keep a local business going. This local store does not get my business unless I'm desperate though because of the attitude of the owners. They act almost hostile when you walk in. They seem to resent the fact that people can get information and pricing from the internet. They will not negotiate on prices even if they have not had to spend any time showing you the options and selling the item to you (if I did utilize their time and I chose what they offered, I'd feel ethically obligated to purchase it from them).

This local business is not doing as well as they could, but the consensus of all the potential customers that I know here is that it is because of the unfriendly atmosphere. That is something that you can control.

My ideal store would have instructive and knowledgable staff who are willing to recommend something that they don't carry if it is better for your needs, fair prices (above mail order, but below full retail), darkroom rental for those who don't have one, a studio space to rent, and plenty of available instruction via classes, workshops, etc.

wfwhitaker

I second Michael's advice. You need to develop a business plan. Formalizing the details of your idea will help test its validity. Weigh carefully your costs against what you can reasonably expect to take in. And don't forget to pay yourself unless you like working for free.

The SBA does have a large number of resources available for the asking. At the minimum they can help you develop a business plan and review it with you. Take advantage of their services.

Above all, remember how much time this will take away from making photographs.

The niche market is the way to go. If you count on traditional markets---developing, printing, film and camera sales you'll be competeing with every Costco, Sam's Club, drugstore and supermarket. Even catering to digitalized Pros is a big gamble. I had an inlaw who started a service bureau with all the latest bells and whistles midway between SF and LA (did I mention he's out of business?) The local store in my town that caters to the college/ high school student market does so as a service, not as an income producer.
    If you have a good market base and the rents are undervalued, space is an asset you might tap into---dark room space, studio space, exhibition space. All these have the potential to be money makers if you're in the right location and if your locale happens to be in an economically challenged area you may be eligible for low interest financing or other perks that come with revitalization district.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White