Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has Satin Snow gone away?

Drew Wiley

Re: Has Satin Snow gone away?

Frank has his own site with some nice stuff on it. Miss his opinionation. It's was always entertaining.

Drew Wiley

Anyway... I've got Satin Snow on both my folders, 8x10 and 4x5. Best GG I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Frank has his own site with some nice stuff on it. Miss his opinionation. It's was always entertaining.
    Just found his site.

Never knew him, site looks good so far.
    Tin Can

I was lucky to learn how to make good GG screens from David Parker in a round about way , he was idiosyncratic but a really nice guy. The family tragedies fell on his shoulders and I guess he took the brunt of it, and is hopefully coping well.

There wasn't a business to sell (he had no contracts), the market for GG screens is very small, I've been making and selling GG screens for few years now with a lot of repeat orders. My screens are hand made like Satin Glass and quite similar. Hopf has a contract with Deardorff but the company is bankrupt can't afford to make a camera

Ian

Ian, which Deardorff company and when? I ask because a quick search found a reference to the original (I think) Deardorff filing in 1989 and nothing for the Cochran enterprise.

I actually quizzed Dave about purchasing the business and he figured it was worth about 10X what anyone could pay. It was a cottage industry ~ labor of love type thing. The name recognition would have some value I suppose but unfortunately he was in dreamland about it. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I am probably their last customer, I prepaid on 4 glasses when they announced they were wrapping it up. They were not eager for the final order but took it. Then I waited and waited and finally bugged them (which I said I would not do...) and they had forgotten about it, but did ship them, two of which fit.
    I may have been right after you. I ordered a screen from Dave, paid for it, and waited a couple of months.
    When no reply, or screen, from Dave was forthcoming, I posted here, asking if anyone had contact information.
    Dave promptly replied to the thread and refunded my money, but I would rather have had the screen.

Frank is an experienced and knowledgeable photographer who contributed much to the Forum but was not able to refrain from straying into politics.

We've resolved the OP's question; this thread has done its work.