Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rochester whole plate camera, do I get it?

Rochester whole plate camera, do I get it?

Found this while traveling at an antique shop.

It's an early Rochester whole plate (6.5x8.5) with 3 plate holders and 4 sheet film holders with 5x7 film holder inserts.

Comes with a no-name lens in shutter (looks to be an aftermarket job) and unfortunately the gem that would have gotten me to buy it, a euroscope 6.5x8.5 Rapid Rectilinear lens with Waterhouse stop.

Afterthought ....Is it possible the glass was removed and put into the shuttered lens job?...

The RE lens LOOKS to be shorter than the shuttered lens, so I don't THINK so... But, would they have done that?

It's a little over $1,200 which I don't want to spend, I kind of wanted the lens but then I thought, I've been meaning to get into whole plate.... And it's a complete kit including tripod...

Bellows needs replacing, front standard won't hold up, needs to be re-toothed, but seems solid other than that.

Came from an estate, smells old but no mold/must smell so that's good.

Thoughts? (PS MODS this is not meant to be a "what is this worth" post, just a "should I do it" post).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244244.116687.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	137082

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244567.930875.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	137084

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244597.835904.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	137085
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244398.206862.jpg  

Re: Rochester whole plate camera, do I get it?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244676.206702.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	137086

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244732.142129.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	137087

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244781.493472.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	137088

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244811.883805.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	137089

Last ones of empty RR lens

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244871.696248.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	137090

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244898.350849.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	137091

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437244920.702543.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	137092

Of course you get it.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Of course you get it.

Lol!

I'm just about debt free and I can't even tell the focal length of the no-name lens so I'm hesitant. I already have an 8x10 and I won't be ready for WP for some time. I know it's an "opportunity" but I was trying to figure out if it's valued well? Plus it will be $500 to Richard Ritter probably to fix the front standard. (The teeth are worn down so it keeps slipping on the rise) and the no-name lenses aren't that much, and I have one already lol, unless that is the Euroscope glass but I doubt that. It's strange that the glass is gone though... If that had the second lens I would have snagged it.

I have 3 or 4 Rochester Whole-plate cameras, including one Carleton model which is more sophisticated. All of mine needed a new bellows and were purchased as project cameras. They fold very compactly.

It's a great camera but I can't comment on the lens. If the lens is worth a grand, then it is probably a decent deal, but I've purchased my cameras for a song since the bellows were shot. My intent was to replace all of them, perhaps getting a discount on a bulk purchase. I did make a couple replacements, but the first didn't allow the camera to fold completely shut and the second fabric didn't end up looking quite like I wanted. The holders are fairly rare but the 7 in the package make it enticing if the lens is worth it.

Here's a few pics of one of mine with a bellows I made for it:

If you are looking to get into whole-plate, I have a few other suggestions that I'll PM you about.

(Shrek)

Seems a little overpriced? Depends what you think that lens is worth, I suppose, but I don't think the camera itself would fetch more than about $600.

I use that model in 8x10, standard holders don't fit but I made an adapter (U-shaped spacer).

The front standard is too wobbly for a lens that size, and as you've noticed they have a tiny lens board that is not big enough for most of the large lenses anyway. The rise on the front standard is supposed to be held by a very flimsy brass piece that catches on some teeth in the rear of the standard, none of these hold without some help. I modified mine with a slide and a set knob on the other side of the standard to lock it in place. Mine isn't a museum piece so I didn't feel bad about making some mods. You could perhaps save the original mechanism by adding a 2nd spring in the rear to stiffen it. I saved my bellows by taking them apart and re-lining them, not a great job but it works.

On the plus side, this is an incredibly compact and light field camera, and you can sort of get the movements you need by fiddling a little. They are surprisingly durable for such a small camera, though I recommend bringing a couple of small clamps and some wood glue on trips. Having enough of the original holders is a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Seems a little overpriced? Depends what you think that lens is worth, I suppose, but I don't think the camera itself would fetch more than about $600.

I use that model in 8x10, standard holders don't fit but I made an adapter (U-shaped spacer).

The front standard is too wobbly for a lens that size, and as you've noticed they have a tiny lens board that is not big enough for most of the large lenses anyway. The rise on the front standard is supposed to be held by a very flimsy brass piece that catches on some teeth in the rear of the standard, none of these hold without some help. I modified mine with a slide and a set knob on the other side of the standard to lock it in place. Mine isn't a museum piece so I didn't feel bad about making some mods. You could perhaps save the original mechanism by adding a 2nd spring in the rear to stiffen it. I saved my bellows by taking them apart and re-lining them, not a great job but it works.

On the plus side, this is an incredibly compact and light field camera, and you can sort of get the movements you need by fiddling a little. They are surprisingly durable for such a small camera, though I recommend bringing a couple of small clamps and some wood glue on trips. Having enough of the original holders is a big plus.
    Thanks,

I offered him $500 which is about what I thought it was worth, didn't think he would take it since the asking was so high.

He didn't take it.

Yes the front standard teeth are worn and it's "strong" as a standard but the teeth design kills it. It's a solid camera but still.

Yea if the lens had any markings, but it doesn't.

Oh well... Thanks!

I love these Rochester Universal or "English style" cameras. I was about to say "Yes!" until I saw the price. Unfortunately he is about three times the going rate on these. They are sleepers, and sell for a lot less, when they sell. Their main problem is the tiny lensboard, and the fact you have to use Rochester holders which are hard to get. If it was $300 to $450, yes. The lens is worth nothing, just a standard RR from the period. They look nice, and take good pictures, but are not in demand or valuable.

Here is a writeup on mine, which I shoot quite often. But you cannot use big, fast lenses. I shoot Dagors and such. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...merican-Beauty

RRs are common lenses which you can get for small money and go by different names.

Like used cars, if you buy the camera for not much knowing what it needs, and do the work yourself it's good, but otherwise buy the nicest you can afford as hiring someone to fix a low budget car/camera isn't worthwhile.