Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Re: New Catagory for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    Why, when it goes directly against the point of this forum, which is large format photography, arguably the most traditional form of photography. Large format photography is about film and negatives, like it not. Negatives that can be used to make alt process prints.

I also find it odd that people who defend the original purpose of this forum against digital intrusion are the bad guys. It would be different if
    this forum had been started to promote digital and we were trying to now ban digital. I have nothing against digital in its proper place, I don't personally believe this should be that place.
    The LF digital sub-forums forums here go back to 1998 and were introduced by the sites founder and owner, QT Luong.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Still restrictive but on the other hand, how many people here are shooting smaller formats / digital and making larger digital negatives, compared to shooting LF / ULF and making direct contact prints with alt processes?
    I'm new here and won't venture an opinion. Until recently my contact prints are all from LF or 122 film sized negatives ( "almost LF" at 3.25 x 5.5 inches ). Recently though, I've become interested in a way of making enlarged paper negatives and will be focusing a lot of attention on it this fall. And I think that is also one of the main attractions of the bromoil process, which uses an enlarged negative, compared to the dichromated gelatin oil pigment process which needs a full-sized negative. My work is 100% analog, so I can talk about it at APUG and I can talk about the great majority of it here. But I'll probably be one of the few making alt process prints from both small and large format negatives.

In any case, it's interesting to think of things from the printmaking perspective, once we are past the source of the negative, then most aspects are the same. I have recently had my eyes opened about the world of printmaking ( not just photographic ) and how much is out there that you don't really pick up just from reading about "alt process". A whole world of techniques to learn about and explore.

once we are past the source of the negative, then most aspects are the same.
    Indeed even in traditional photography or digital printing from scanned film or even enlarging onto silver gelatin paper. When I was moderating (not saying I was right) I tried to look at a post taking into account if the technique could be used in some form for LF photography. And if it could it was of potential use to LF photographers and could stay. That was a bit too loosy goosy for some but it made sense to me.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    Since the image has been digitized at some point to produce the final print, it would seem more appropriate to use the digital processing sub-forum.
    I agree with this. My understanding has always been that this is a Large Format Photography Forum. I think that like it or not the digital negative is becoming the norm. As we age the big cameras get harder to carry so we go to digital in some point of the process. Some do not have darkrooms available.
    I am a traditional film large and Ultra large format photographer and alternative printer. I will be for as long as I can.

I think there is a need for a separate area for the digital negative wet print. Unfortunately IMHO I see so much of it that it is becoming the norm I feel.
    So,this is the way technology is going but I feel that this is not the place in the main forum for these discussions. If something is needed then Bob can be the moderator because he has the expertise and I'm sure many others do as well. A sub forum would be the place.

I believe that the forum is for the film shooters and any digital interface should be separate.

A big part of what we doing here is buying, using, preserving LF and ULF in the manner already prescribed. The originating sensor, film et al, must be nominal 4x5" or larger period, to be LF.

BUT we do include ALL forms of imaging in our sub forums and are far more inclusive and simultaneously exclusive than any other forum. We have it all, right now!

Let's not muddy our purpose, let's see all that is imaging.

Add a category to a category wherever mods decide.

Now back to developing 2x3 sheets.
    Tin Can

Jim - I would be the worst moderator the internet has ever seen.. but thanks for thinking of me.

I do promise that if a sub forum is started to be an active contributor, I have done ton's of research and have gone down many wormholes with this and had fantastic mentoring when needed(Sam, Sandy , Ron Reeder, PE over on APUg, Ian and Ian , and countless others who share their info.
    Right now I have three young workers on the case putting countless hours learning to coat, make neg's, process out and also they are all working on long term projects. So I have an overload of Alternative Process, right now and would love to put it out there in a simple , but singular space where others can access it.

I doubt any of what I have learned is new, or threatened to leave us , but I think it would be fantastic to have it availble to those on this site and visitors.

I believe that the forum is for the film shooters and any digital interface should be separate.
    I think you mean that you want the forum to be just for film shooters. The forum included digital 9 years before you joined.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I think you mean that you want the forum to be just for film shooters. The forum included digital 9 years before you joined.
    Not really. "Digital" includes everything digital, whereas what we have included is the subset of digital that relates to processing LF negatives for digital printing, making digital internegatives for alternate process printing, etc. - all based off of LF capture. Although there has been some confusion and some stretching of the rules from time to time, we have never been about all things digital.

The ideal solution would be to have a recognizable site name for alternative photographay and host the forum there. Unfortunately, some time ago AlternativePhotography.com closed their forum. Maybe someone should contact Ms Maitlin to arrange hosting a forum on some other server than hers.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Doug I would think a new site for this would be great, but I my case I only look at two sites- Large Format and APUG . I am pretty faithful with this and I would have to drop on of these sites to go to a third..

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    The ideal solution would be to have a recognizable site name for alternative photographay and host the forum there. Unfortunately, some time ago AlternativePhotography.com closed their forum. Maybe someone should contact Ms Maitlin to arrange hosting a forum on some other server than hers.