Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Re: New Catagory for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Not really. "Digital" includes everything digital, whereas what we have included is the subset of digital that relates to processing LF negatives for digital printing, making digital internegatives for alternate process printing, etc. - all based off of LF capture. Although there has been some confusion and some stretching of the rules from time to time, we have never been about all things digital.
    Thats what I meant. Didn't think I had To mention LF digital uses. Thought that was a given. We did include Betterlight backs for many years.

Betterlight Scanner back posts go back to 2000 even though they have always been a bit smaller that 4x5.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Thats what I meant. Didn't think I had To mention LF digital uses. Thought that was a given. We did include Betterlight backs for many years.

Betterlight Scanner back posts go back to 2000 even though they have always been a bit smaller that 4x5.
    I just wanted to clarify the semantics, since the dichotomy between how rules are perceived (or, misconstrued for any number of reasons) and how they are enforced is always a matter of semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I just wanted to clarify the semantics, since the dichotomy between how rules are perceived (or, misconstrued for any number of reasons) and how they are enforced is always a matter of semantics.
    indeed
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I agree with this. My understanding has always been that this is a Large Format Photography Forum. I think that like it or not the digital negative is becoming the norm. As we age the big cameras get harder to carry so we go to digital in some point of the process. Some do not have darkrooms available.
    I am a traditional film large and Ultra large format photographer and alternative printer. I will be for as long as I can.

I think there is a need for a separate area for the digital negative wet print. Unfortunately IMHO I see so much of it that it is becoming the norm I feel.
    So,this is the way technology is going but I feel that this is not the place in the main forum for these discussions. If something is needed then Bob can be the moderator because he has the expertise and I'm sure many others do as well. A sub forum would be the place.

I believe that the forum is for the film shooters and any digital interface should be separate.
    I very much agree with Jim and think any discussion or gallery about digital printing, alternative process or not, should be separate from discussion/exhibition of handmade prints using in-camera LF/ULF negatives.

Has everyone forgotten/abandoned DPUG? That forum comes to mind immediately for such things.

DPUG ship sailed long time ago Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    I very much agree with Jim and think any discussion or gallery about digital printing, alternative process or not, should be separate from discussion/exhibition of handmade prints using in-camera LF/ULF negatives.

Has everyone forgotten/abandoned DPUG? That forum comes to mind immediately for such things.

What does everyone think about the sub-forum/thread we already have for this topic? Is it working for those using it?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-or-Positives
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Haven't paid any attention to APUG/DPUG in maybe a decade. The rigidity and separation seemed counterproductive to me. Maybe that is what some people want and need but my photographic life involves using the best tool for the situation and sometimes that is film and sometimes that is digital and sometimes that is both in some hybrid mix.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Kirk, APUG/DPUG is going through a big change in their software that will hopefully make it easier to go between the two...and pick up more activity for DPUG.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have posted on this Thread but what I am hoping that a Sub Forum on the home page for Alternative Printing could contain Threads that are exactly
    like this one . I would hope to keep them all in one place so everyone can view or ignore.

Actually this is the thread that got me thinking about all of this sub forum or forum stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    What does everyone think about the sub-forum/thread we already have for this topic? Is it working for those using it?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-or-Positives

I am hopeful Vaughn but there really is a lot of nonsense to deal with to think this will ever happen smoothly or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Kirk, APUG/DPUG is going through a big change in their software that will hopefully make it easier to go between the two...and pick up more activity for DPUG.