Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 that extends to 400mm easily...

Drew Wiley

Re: 4x5 that extends to 400mm easily...

My basic single-extension Ebony 4x5 will easily handle 360, even fairly close. The trick is to simply use base tilts for that extra bit of lens to film plane distance
    that the gear rack doesn't quite accommodate.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Toyo Fields (AX and AII) extend to 324mm but you can add up to 2 100mm extension backs giving you 424 or 524mm of extension: http://toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The Toyo Fields (AX and AII) extend to 324mm but you can add up to 2 100mm extension backs giving you 424 or 524mm of extension: http://toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html

Thomas
    Those extension backs cost $500 each used... Not practical when the your camera only costs $500 used.

Bigger camera and reduction back is the answer, I think. You don't just need the extension, but you want a sturdier camera that can support all that extension easily.

If you want to stick with a 4x5" folding camera, a 4x5" Technika has 17" of extension (about 430mm with the back extended, around 400mm without extending the back), and you can use a top-hat type extension lensboard to give you more extension for close portraits with long lenses like the PS945.

According to the specs, my Canham DLC has a max bellows extension of 520mm, although I have never used anything longer than a 300mm lens on it. But have you considered something like a used Sinar F1 or F2? Adding rail sections makes it as long as you want, although I'm unaware of the max extension of the standard bellows. I had a Sinar F for quite a while, and while it is not as easily packable/transportable as a field camera, it folds up reasonably well, and Sinar intended it for field use (hence the "F" designation).

I second the Chamonix 45N-2.

What's so difficult about using the rail extension?

Just tuck something underneath the bellows to support it from underneath... or better yet, add a hook or two to the top of the bellows and support it with a thin rod.

Thanks all for suggestions. Lots to consider.

More info: The PS945 works fine on the F1, it's the 14" Dagor that I want to use "with ease."

A rail / studio camera is out, as I am traveling a lot to do my portrait projects. Oh, I don't have a studio space. Not enough garage....

Thanka again!

B
    Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Thanks all for suggestions. Lots to consider.

More info: The PS945 works fine on the F1, it's the 14" Dagor that I want to use "with ease."

A rail / studio camera is out, as I am traveling a lot to do my portrait projects. Oh, I don't have a studio space. Not enough garage....
    Then, if it is in your budget, you should check out the TK. It is a folding monorail that collapses to about the size of a hard back book and opens instantly (well, in seconds) to a 20" monorail with full movements front and back. The standard bellows will handle from 90mm up.
    Thanka again!
    Sorry, for some reason my reply is the last paragraph of the quoted text and I can not correct it.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 15-Jul-2015 at 13:23. Reason: Correction

Drew Wiley

Fits and supports are not identical. I've had a 14 inch Dagor on that standard and it's OK. But being a relatively heavy lens on a no. 3 shutter (though nowhere near
    as heavy as fast plasmats that focal length), you'd be better served by an f2 front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Fits and supports are not identical. I've had a 14 inch Dagor on that standard and it's OK. But being a relatively heavy lens on a no. 3 shutter (though nowhere near
    as heavy as fast plasmats that focal length), you'd be better served by an f2 front standard.
    Drew, is this comment specifically regarding the TK45/S Standard or to other comments? Thanks.