Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150 mm for 5x8

Re: 150 mm for 5x8

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I believe all 150mm Graphic-Kowa are exactly the same as the Computar... easier to find and cheaper.
    Interesting if true. There are no 150/9 Kowa Graphics (or Graphic Kowas) on eBay this evening. There is a 305/9 in Copal 3, BIN price $1,111. Google found no 150/9ers on offer in the last year. No 150/9 Computars, either.

Good luck chasing mythical beasts, Jim and don't even think about bagging one for a reasonable price.

The (few!) 150 Computars I've spotted over the years haven't been particularly expensive - it's the focal lengths that will cover ULF that make people go ga-ga. But the 150's have indeed been... few.

The Fuji 150mm W series lens with the lettering on the inside, is listed as 80 degrees, and has a stated coverage of 245 mm. That just might be an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting if true. There are no 150/9 Kowa Graphics (or Graphic Kowas) on eBay this evening. There is a 305/9 in Copal 3, BIN price $1,111. Google found no 150/9ers on offer in the last year. No 150/9 Computars, either.

Good luck chasing mythical beasts, Jim and don't even think about bagging one for a reasonable price.
    Dan, if anyone knows In figured it would be you. I've read many times that the 150 G-K is the same exact design as the original Computar... the only focal length that never changed.

159mm Wolly, though perhaps not as modern as you'd prefer...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Dan,

Actually, one of these mythical beasts (150 Computars) is going to land in my lap at (what I think) is a reasonable price. I guess it doesn't hurt to put a WTB ad on the For Sale/WTB forum. The lens has 290mm of coverage and should work just fine.

All of this talk about the 150 Computar spurred me to move my barrel 150 Computar cells into a Compur #1 shutter with a very nice round aperture. Of course, the cells fit properly but the shutter needs work plus a new aperture scale made. There's a very good chance I'll sell my 150mm Apo Symmar-L and keep the Computar.

BTW, those who might worry about using common filters with the 150-210mm Computar/Kyvytar/Graphic-Kowa lenses... don't. There's a very cheap and easy fix for that via step-down and coupling rings. For instance, if using common 58mm filters, buy a 46-58mm step-down ring plus a 58mm female-female coupling ring. Then screw your filters into the latter. Just be aware that the step-down ring will screw too far into the shutter so either be very careful or add a tiny bit of Locktite to the threads of the step-down ring to lock it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Dan,

Actually, one of these mythical beasts (150 Computars) is going to land in my lap at (what I think) is a reasonable price. I guess it doesn't hurt to put a WTB ad on the For Sale/WTB forum. The lens has 290mm of coverage and should work just fine.
    Great! Sometimes look and you will find works.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Should not need to do math to find the diagonal. Just measure it.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenseslist.html

If you want compact and inexpensive, I'd go with the Fujinon 180mm with inside lettering. 305mm coverage and just a little bigger than a regular 150.

Attachment 136796
    I recently bought a real nice example of one of these but in a Copal Press shutter. I got it from Japan and with shipping it was just over $150.00.

Cheap Cheap, Dirt Cheap as the Dirt Cheap Liquor Store commercials say here in St. Louis!

Coverage of a lens, in general, is set to a level focus to infinity, and f number value of 22.
    But the coverage values are variable.

If you focus closer to infinity (15 to 20 m away ... or less) its objective focus and also cover a much larger format (even 8x10 ").

It will be necessary to close some value nºf (f: 16 of: 22 to avoid much darker corners than the center of picture) a balance of light in the image plane.

You can use your 150 mm lens. But not infinite.