Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Compur 3 and Copal 3 interchangeable?

Are Compur 3 and Copal 3 interchangeable?

Sorry if this is a stupid question--I have searched around but haven't been able to find a straight answer. I have a 240mm Symmar in a Compur Electro #3 that decided it is too good to change shutter speeds. It looks like there are some old version copal 3's available in the form of Fuji SF lenses. Would the lens spacing be the same between Compur and Copal?

Re: Are Compur 3 and Copal 3 interchangeable?

The question is whether the tube lengths are the same. Measure your Compur, then compare with http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals for overall thickness. Or visit http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique..._centraux.html

I think you'll find that your shutter (measure it!) matches a Copal #3s but I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 12-Jul-2015 at 13:15. Reason: corrected cut and paste error - wrong link

How close does that measurement need to be?

To what level of precision, as it may be difficult to obtain accuracy with a dial caliper, using it as depth gauge.
    Tin Can

Randy, shame on you. If you'd followed the suadeau or (you couldn't but now it is right) skgrimes links you'd have learned that the 3 is ~ 3 mm longer than the 3s. Low precision should be good enough. My cheap calipers can measure an Ilex 3's thickness to much closer than 3 mm, ought to be able to do the same for a Copal 3. Tube length, end-to-end, is what matters.

I am shamed.
    Tin Can

Well good news is that the Compur Electro 3 and Copal 3 match. That should make this whole thing a lot easier on my wallet. Thanks for the links--I really appreciate it.

You mention that the Compur electronic 3 doesn't want to change shutter speed. Couldn't this simply be a weak or dead battery? Without battery it always releases at full speed.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    You mention that the Compur electronic 3 doesn't want to change shutter speed. Couldn't this simply be a weak or dead battery? Without battery it always releases at full speed.

Peter
    Even with a fresh battery the shutter speed dial won't turn.

OK, if the rim dial to set the shutter speed doesn't move, this might be a simple mechanical problem, e.g. dirt or corrosion. If it's only the rim, it might be easy to fix by cleaning. Of course there is a chance that the actual shutter mechanism is affected as well. In any case, it might be worth trying to make it work again before investing big bucks into a replacement shutter.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amfooty View Post
    Well good news is that the Compur Electro 3 and Copal 3 match. That should make this whole thing a lot easier on my wallet. Thanks for the links--I really appreciate it.
    Be aware that some Copal 3S shutters are marked "Copal 3", not always marked "3S".