Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petzval Broken focusing knob

Re: Petzval Broken focusing knob

The 4 screws often work loose and the threads in the thin sleeve are too short to last long if there is even slight misuse.

The brass has solder together and perhaps the screws as well. This is low temperature work, which could be reversed in a few minutes - AFTER removing the two lens cells. There is already some discolouration around the soldered area.

I doubt a repair is feasible. The sheared steel rod is very close to the gear and the whole section would have to be replaced.
    It is also likely that the screws/threads will have to be renewed (slightly larger threads) - no-one would have done this kind of repair unless there was already something seriously wrong with the the gear box mounting.

If this a large size series II, used in a portrait studio, I can understand that security of a well loved/used lens is more important retaining an original feature. I have seen Studio lenses where a shortened sleeve has been solder directly to the barrel.

Thanks Steven,

It is looking like if they had replaced the screws by studs and then welded them to the cover. I agree with you if the shaft and gear are made in one piece, i won't be able to fix it unless i replaced the whole unit. I'm able to extend the lens by holding both ends. It is a #4 9 3/4" f/4 lens and i'll like to get a rebate from the seller instead of a refund.

What is different between the short focus lens like the series II and the long focus series III? Do you know for how long they manufactured?
    As it is covering whole plate, is it too optimist to made head an shoulder portrait with it?

Here is a catalog the explains the difference between all the Euryscop models, at that time: http://www.antiquecameras.net/1890lenscatalogue.html

The Short Focal length ones are faster. There are extensive tables showing what distance you need to be for various sized portraits too.

Euryskops in focussing mounts are unusual.

I think the series II was only made in the 19th century, whilst the series III (much more common) was in the Voigtlander Catalogue until, at least, 1907.

If you bought from someone who deals in lenses, he should have said that the focussing drive was modified/non-original/non-functioning. These steel axels are often bent and straightened up creating cracks which could lead to breakage in postage.

I, personally, would be looking at the quality of the glass surfaces, degree of balsam degradation/separation rather than a function that you and future owners are not going to use! But, of course, it depends on the seller's description of his item and the price you paid!

The seller said , it was fixed and was operating properly but he probably weakened the rod and it broke during shipping.
    For the glass, there is no separation, delimitation BUT they have circular scratches made while cleaning the hood but nothing seem to be visible in pictures so far. I probably paid too much but i knew it was a rare lens and it cover whole plate and it is covering more at close distance.

Definitely get a rebate as the lack of drive will have some effect on resale value. Otherwise, i would not try to repair it, unless you get your hands on another drive that is the same size, which is highly unlikely. There is no simple fix, and a full repair is not worth the cost, unless you have a good friend with a well-equipped shop who will do it as a favor

Cheers

Tim

What will be a good refund on this issue, how many % will be acceptable?

Since you'll use the focus knob 0% of the time, that's a place to start.

You said it's a Voigtlander Euryscop (rapid rectilinear) for about wholeplate right? It has a flange, that's worth $50 to $100. The lens is worth $500 to $1200 depending on condition. With a rusted, welded, or frozen knob, I would have said towards the lower end of the scale. If you paid more than that, or "too much" as you said, it's going to be hard to feel you got a good value for your money. Broken knob, or frozen knob, both are not helping the value of the lens. Since you didn't care about the rusty/frozen knob, it's a little hard to now say you care that it broke off. I'd ask for 10% off, and if he declines, just kindly send it back to him for a full refund, minus shipping cost. Then look for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by mylek View Post
    I was aware that this is an Aplanat lens but it was easier to describe the problem.
    It seems that somebody at some time welded the cover of the gear on the lens so i'm less tempted to removed it.
    Here is a picture.

Attachment 136782
    It's too easy~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Pierre,

What do you mean by "It's too easy ~" To fix it?