I have the opertunity to buy a Scanview 5000 drum scanner (a desktop unit) taken out of service (from a working environment). I am tempting to buy it to be able to work with bigger an densier transparencies: 5"x7" and occationally 8"x10". My old Agfa Arcus 1200 have a hard time getting useful scans from velvia in these sizes (but is quite good with color negs. & less dense trannies), and I would imagine the ScanView would also be better than my Sprintscan 45 on smaller formats. The company making Scanview is aquired by a neighboring big pre-press company, but as they both are situated in Copenhagen (ferry & 4 hour by car), service may be within reach..

However, does anyone have experience with this scanner in particular, or any of the other ScanView drum-scanners (I understand the ScanView 10000 is very similar). Ease of set-up/use, possibility to do batch-scanning and possibility to scan without oil-mounting?

The scanner comes with the Color Quartet 3.3.2. software (mac.) & dongles, but I see on the companys home-page that software have been updated recently for both PC & mac . Info. on usefulness of this software (for color-transparency work) compared to newer version or 3-party software is appreciated.