Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about metering for color neg landscapes?

Can we talk about metering for color neg landscapes?

Soooo I am actually fairly experienced within photography and large format. I've been a pro since college and got a BA from Southern Illinois University in 2007, doing my graduating portfolio on 8x10 160 and 400NC (those were the days). But I am getting back into shooting large format for landscape and documentary work and I'd like to hear some best practice information about metering for a landscape scene with color negative film. I use a Sekonic L558. For a given portrait I meter incident and over expose by at least 1 stop, but it's a bit different because skin tones are the priority there. With a landscape you might have a huge range of tones, and an incident reading can be unreliable. I've also tried spot metering off the back of my hand (rough 18% grey spot) or grey card. I haven't had a ton of success bringing in creative exposures though... I really want to improve and generally be more confident with my metering. Especially considering the cost of 8x10!

For instance, I'm heading up to Maine in a couple weeks and I'll be bringing P400 and Ektar 100, and i'll likely be shooting 8x10 and 4x5. Any general words of wisdom, or articles I could take a look at would be helpful.

For a piece of wildcard advice, would my D750 be of any use when metering a landscape, if I use it's live view mode to judge exposure?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Can we talk about metering for color neg landscapes?

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum.

For landscapes, I mostly use reflectance meters aimed down so that I do not meter the sky. That has only worked for me for the first fifty years.

When appropriate I use an incident meter.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Drew Wiley

With Ektar I carefully spotmeter everything just like a chrome. I've come to understand this film quite well, and it's a gem of a film for landscape IF you understand it and don't try to shoot from the hip exposure-wise like people are accustomed to with color neg film

Preston Birdwell

If the L558 is a spot meter, you might try exposing your brightest significant high values at Zone VII (two stops over the indicated meter reading. Doing so will give full detail in those values and will give nice blacks in the darks. Given the dynamic range of color neg, you could also try placing those values at Zone VIII.

If you use your D-750 in live View mode to judge exposure, be certain the screen brightness is set to the default. Personally, I don't use Live View as a critical decision maker for exposure, because it could be off slightly. I always view the image on the card after exposing and look at the image and its histogram.

Regardless of the meter you use, you made need to adjust your exposures because shutter speeds of your LF lenses may be off from their stated values.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

For Ektar 100 in 120 I always rate it at box speed. But results are still a little inconsistent. I'll be more careful.

The 558 is dual incident and spot. So assuming my brightest area is the sky, I would basically expose for the highlights? Would this mean literally taking a spot reading of likesay, a cloud? Or even blue sky? Lets say I'm rating P400 at 200. Could I apply general zone techniques to it? Like, exposing a shadow area at Zone III, or like you say, highlights at zone VII/I.

Also, I'm probably going to be scanning these on a V700, FYI. I know it's a PITA, but it's what I got for the moment. I've never really tested it with over exposed color negatives....

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum.

For landscapes, I mostly use reflectance meters aimed down so that I do not meter the sky. That has only worked for me for the first fifty years.

When appropriate I use an incident meter.
    Sounds easy haha! I only have a spot and an incident at the moment so I gotta be a little picky with it. :-)

Preston Birdwell

If your sky is clear blue, and above the horizon--no clouds, then you might consider placing that value at Zone VI. Closer to the horizon, the sky will be brighter. A clear north sky will be about Zone V. If there are clouds, place the highest values at Zone VII, to start with.

Yes, you certainly could place a significant low value on Zone III, but you'd have to check your significant highest values to see where they fall. Color neg film will hold detail across a very wide range, but the limiting factor will be what you could pull with a scan. In my own color neg work, with my Microtek scanner, I can hold detail from Zone III to Zone VII-1/2 on Portra 160.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Man,

Given the fact that:
    - negative color film is "supposed" to have a bit narrow dynamic range then b&w,
    - it's sort of un-usual to develop for minus or plus developing times as per Zone System expansion & contraction,

I would start the work with a pair of ND filters, a linear polarizer and eventually some color correction filters - UV & skylight for instance, which will make part of my bellows extension factor in exposure calculations one at a time, not all together

Even if it's possible to work only with an incident light meter, my bet would use a 1º spot meter, trying to make accurate exposure for the shadows - all you already know and open shadows to zone IV - and try to contrast control the scene with ND filters when needed. You'll probably have a higher success rate dealing with sun at 60º or less, so better arrive in place until 10AM or before 4/5 PM for preparation, camera setup, composition studies and decisions, etc.,

Finally, it's crucial to really know the real ISO speed rate of the film you'll work with, to not be surprised later,

That's my $0.02 cents , i wish you luck and a bunch of nice pics,

Cheers,

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    Man,

Given the fact that:
    - negative color film is "supposed" to have a bit narrow dynamic range then b&w,
    - it's sort of un-usual to develop for minus or plus developing times as per Zone System expansion & contraction,

I would start the work with a pair of ND filters, a linear polarizer and eventually some color correction filters - UV & skylight for instance, which will make part of my bellows extension factor in exposure calculations one at a time, not all together

Even if it's possible to work only with an incident light meter, my bet would use a 1º spot meter, trying to make accurate exposure for the shadows - all you already know and open shadows to zone IV - and try to contrast control the scene with ND filters when needed. You'll probably have a higher success rate dealing with sun at 60º or less, so better arrive in place until 10AM or before 4/5 PM for preparation, camera setup, composition studies and decisions, etc.,

Finally, it's crucial to really know the real ISO speed rate of the film you'll work with, to not be surprised later,

That's my $0.02 cents , i wish you luck and a bunch of nice pics,

Cheers,

Renato
    Filters are probably outside of my budget for now, considering I;d have to go Lee, or large 86mm plates for my Sinaron 300/5.6. As for the 'true' ISO, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to establish that prior to the trip. In a perfect world, I'd have done a test box. :-) I'm going to pretty much have to rely on my metering ability and over exposure from box speed with the Portra. In 120 I've had success over exposing P400 up to 5 stops! I really wanted 400H, which I frequently rate at 100 and slower, but no sheet film! I'm guessing 160NS is similar but I don't think I'll have time to get it from Japan. Thanks for your tips! Down the line I'll do more testing and try to pick up some filters. I've wanted to get some NDs for a while now.