Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it have to say anything?

Re: Does it have to say anything?

All Art is political
    Tin Can

Wow. I didn't expect so many great responses so fast.

I agree with probably all of you at least in some way.

Paulr mentioned that trying to have a notion of what is to be said before grabbing your gear is counter intuitive. I have to agree.

Personally I like photographing because I like photographing. Everything is exciting, I enjoy it.

But as an artist there are things I want to say, but I don't want to feel like I'm trying to make the viewer see something that's not there.
    For me the nature of my work has become exploratory. I see something, it catches my attention, if I get excited about it I shoot it.

Whatever comes out of that process, in my mind is inextricably linked to whatever subconscious notions exist. Forcing a meaning on to that becomes a chore and dissatisfying. Hopefully eventually some commentary will arise organically from the series/sets

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Hopefully eventually some commentary will arise organically from the series/sets
    It's fine if it does, but it's also fine if it doesn't. There's no one right way to do or present photography. It's not necessary to have an agenda beyond wanting to share a joy in seeing, if that's what's driving you.

But as an artist there are things I want to say, but I don't want to feel like I'm trying to make the viewer see something that's not there.
    I try not to confuse saying something with communicating something. Saying only needs one person involved and all that matters is his or her satisfaction with what is said; how it is received by others is secondary. Communicating needs two or more people, and how the message is received is critically important.

Off to split more hairs... ;-)

-Chris

I think we use the term "say something" a bit carelessly, therefore confusing verbal communication with other kinds of expression.

My photographs "say" nothing (unless there are signs in them ), but, I hope, express a lot. Photography can be like musical improvisation; spontaneously exploring the subject on an instinctive and intuitive level (gut reactions, if you will) or, it can be more methodical and thought-out, similar to composing. However, photographs, like other non-verbal art forms, exists in a wordless expressive world, communicating on a different level and in a different manner.

There are lots of elements in a photograph that express: the composition, i.e., juxtaposition and arrangement of elements, which can be wonderfully expressive in itself, the subject matter, if recognizable, communicates with us too, so do the tonalities and textures, the more tactile elements of a photograph. And, lets not forget all the things we can do with visual references to culture or to our instinctive reactions to certain shapes, etc. Then, of course, we can combine images and text; the one enhancing the other to form a whole that is (hopefully) greater than the sum of the parts. The list and the combinations are practically endless.

So, to the OP: You're "saying" something (i.e., expressing something) with your photography whether you recognize it or not. Growing as an artist is recognizing what you like, what you want to express to/share with others and why that is important to you. Great art works on many levels simultaneously, and that is what I strive for. I try to combine expressive composition, virtuosic performance, intriguing and meaningful subject matter, references to history, literature and other visual arts as well as thought-provoking underlying narratives in my work. That said, I usually let my subconscious guide me when choosing subjects and, I must confess, usually the impetus to photograph starts with "that looks cool!" Only after something has caught my eye do I work it, looking for expressive possibilities, stories, arrangements, emotion... After I think I have put an image together that will make a good photograph, I set up the camera.

What I'm trying to say... Look at my photographs. As Robert Frost said when asked to explain a poem, "You want me to say it worse?"

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    What I'm trying to say... Look at my photographs. As Robert Frost said when asked to explain a poem, "You want me to say it worse?"
    That reminds me of an anecdote about a young Beethoven.

After he played a piano sonata, a listener asked what it meant.

Beethoven turned back to the piano and played it again.

-----
    I feel no loss when excellent prints have no explanatory placards.

Moderators please move of this isn't the right forum.

I've been photographing everything I find interesting. I think anytime 2 or more images are shown together a third dialog begins to develop.

I am in school and there is a very heavy influence of conceptualism and post modern ideals I find myself constantly fighting. Because I tend to lean toward not thinking or planning about what I am trying to "say" with my pictures. I feel they say enough on their own.

Now this isn't about writing or even speaking about the pictures. It's a question of at what point is the message coming through on its own, why force the work to be something other than what it is.

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on this as I know many of you have had quite successful careers as artists.
    It seems to me you're just after reasoning you could use in your "constant fighting" at the school. Am I mistaken? If pictures don't say anything they are just boring pictures. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    It seems to me you're just after reasoning you could use in your "constant fighting" at the school. Am I mistaken? If pictures don't say anything they are just boring pictures. How about that?
    I'm not so sure that's what I meant at all.

I don't need justification. What I am fighting are post modern principles forcefully applied to a modern art (photography).

The post modernists are much more methodical in conceptualization. Sometimes though photos are just good photos end of story.

Yeah, but to say sometimes photos are just good photos doesn't say much to speak about. There must be more underlying.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I am in school and there is a very heavy influence of conceptualism and post modern ideals I find myself constantly fighting...
    That's the dominant state of Fine Art academia today, especially in photography. You chose to play in their house by their rules, so there you are. Good luck with the uphill battle; you'll be somewhat analogous to a musician trying to play classical etudes for a crowd that came to hear Pussy Riot.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."