Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    With things going as they are large format as we have known it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Before too long it will be limited to home-made emulsions in B&W, and to the color film and papers found in Drew's freezer...
    Please define "before too long." I'm curious because, given how successful it's been, HARMAN seems likely to continue supplying silver halide film and paper for at least the duration of its site lease, which runs for another decade. It's entirely possible that Ilford materials will continue to be available even after that.

Why do you telegraph what feels like, at least to me, a negative attitude about this forum's very reason for being, in one of this forum's threads?

With things going as they are large format as we have known it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Before too long it will be limited to home-made emulsions in B&W, and to the color film and papers found in Drew's freezer.

Sandy
    Most of us would strongly disagree.

Maybe your opinion is based on a personal change in direction which I think may have been noticeable to many in your posts. I've certainly seen it happening. Normally I totally agree with you but not on this occasion.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This would all be solved more easily if we went back to the original definition of large format before Linhof came in and redefined it and called 4x5 Large format, prior to that, 5x7 was large format and 4x5 was considered medium format... Just saying... That would solve 90% of the complaints except those pesky 6x17 users

Stone "who thinks this argument is tired and also thinks non-LF/non-sheet film/70mm-and-smaller stuff shouldn't even be allowed on the forum at all, even in the lounge so just be glad I'm not in charge" NYC
    I'm confused. I shoot 8x20, but then I cut the negative into 40 2x2 squares and scan them on a medium format scanner. What happens?

With things going as they are large format as we have known it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Before too long it will be limited to home-made emulsions in B&W, and to the color film and papers found in Drew's freezer.

Sandy
    I know you are being facetious, but inevitably others will not.

HOWEVER, I look forward to LARGER format, special categories. I want an ULF Alternative Process Action Sports Photography section.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I'm confused. I shoot 8x20, but then I cut the negative into 40 2x2 squares and scan them on a medium format scanner. What happens?
    Oh, you want the Slice-n-Dice forum. It's to your right, just pass the room for arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPerelet View Post
    Oh, I think it went overboard again as it happens. My only concern is that there is forum called:

Forum Digital Hardware
    Large format digital hardware (cameras, backs, scanners, printers, etc.)

So please add backs bigger than 4x5in to forum description. So neither myself or brand new user will not get confused with fact that that moderators ONLY allow 4x5 and bigger digital back discussion there. Simple and clear.
    I agree. What is more, the newcomers must be terribly confused to find long and many discussions of things now outlawed in the main forum, not moved to the Lounge, only to find the hard way that somewhere new guidelines forbid them. I didn't know medium film backs were things of the Lounge if you happened to parachute yourself into their discussed threads. Naming backs in the Forum Digital Hardware but actually forbidding them in the guidelines (as not big enough) must be a bad taste joke I don't understand.

Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPerelet View Post
    Oh, I think it went overboard again as it happens. My only concern is that there is forum called:

Forum Digital Hardware
    Large format digital hardware (cameras, backs, scanners, printers, etc.)

So please add backs bigger than 4x5in to forum description. So neither myself or brand new user will not get confused with fact that that moderators ONLY allow 4x5 and bigger digital back discussion there. Simple and clear. Talking about real large things only!

It does not matter that such thing is not know to human society. As long at rule says digital backs of size 4x5 and bigger everybody will be fine.

Phase one and better light scan backs do not belong there either, cause imager size is smaller than 4x5.
    Don't get me wrong as I like you so don't want this to be heard incorrectly.

The word "large format" is described by the forum as 4x5 and larger, so any mention it "large format" is inferred automatically to mean 4x5 and larger and shouldn't require an addendum. It's implied by the "large format" part.

So if you're confused it's only because you didn't read the updated description of the forum, which is ok, but you can't plaster "4x5 and larger" after every thread that's for large format or we would have some unnecessarily long thread titles...

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    I agree. What is more, the newcomers must be terribly confused to find long and many discussions of things now outlawed in the main forum, not moved to the Lounge, only to find the hard way that somewhere new guidelines forbid them. I didn't know medium film backs were things of the Lounge if you happened to parachute yourself into their discussed threads. Naming backs in the Forum Digital Hardware but actually forbidding them in the guidelines (as not big enough) must be a bad taste joke I don't understand.
    It's a transition, change is hard, we can do it if we work together

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It's a transition, change is hard, we can do it if we work together
    I know, but just imagine the poor new guy asking a question and having it disappeared into the Lounge (where you cannot even go without first logging in) with no word of explanation. The OP just parachuted elsewhere and have a nice day! There Victoria was right, me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    I know, but just imagine the poor new guy asking a question and having it disappeared into the Lounge (where you cannot even go without first logging in) with no word of explanation. The OP just parachuted elsewhere and have a nice day! There Victoria was right, me thinks.
    All subscribed-to threads stay subscribed when moved, the "poor newbie" will find it just fine.