Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    Good for you. If you do a search for "6x7 roll film backs" you get 89 threads where they are discussed. Many threads even have this in their title. They're not in the Lounge though. Hopefully it will not be especially difficult to move them there.
    Sorry, 97 results in fact.

I kind of preferred the old (perhaps unwritten) definition, where anything shot on a 4x5 view camera was more or less okay to post. That meant roll film holders on 4x5 or cropped images on 4x5 sheet film, and also included digital backs on view cameras. Likewise, it was agreed that smaller format sheet film was allowed (for example, my 6.5x9 Agfa folder). There was an understanding that all of these formats involved similar processes, whether it be loading holders or applying movements, and therefore discussion of one would inform others.

For everything else but view cameras, only size mattered. So, you could have an SLR shooting roll film and as long as it was 4x5 it was okay, but medium format no. Although called the Large Format Forum, their was a tacit understanding that it was really primarily the view camera forum, as it was the only place on the web were view camera users were the majority.

I'm okay with the way it is now, but it feels weird that I have to post a cropped 4x5 in the lounge...

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    As I posted a few moments ago, the rule that was adopted was that old threads that do not meet the size criterion will be moved if new posts are made within them. This is what we have been doing.
    Thank you for your explanation.
    IF you forgive your servant - I'm still confused. Why can you discuss on this forum a small bubble level on your LF camera but not a much bigger roll film holder on the same LF camera?
    One who wants to understand.

IF you forgive your servant - I'm still confused. Why can you discuss on this forum a small bubble level on your LF camera but not a much bigger roll film holder on the same LF camera?
    A bubble level is not an image-capture medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I'm okay with the way it is now, but it feels weird that I have to post a cropped 4x5 in the lounge...
    Tim, I would have preferred a slightly different definition myself. But the current rule reflects a consensus achieved after much discussion. Having a clearer rule on this has been a big help in moderation and in keeping the scope of the main sections well-defined.

Also, such discussions are still welcome in the Lounge; there's plenty of relevant expertise here on these not-quite-LF topics, and it's great to be able to share it. Remember, the Lounge isn't a penalty box - it's just... a Lounge.

Also, a PS specifically about pictures: remember, too, that we do have a section for small format *images* in the main area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Good point actually. This demonstrates another problem with this black-and-white approach the moderators have taken. It's not easy to prove that an image really came from 4x5 or larger film.

I can imagine a future rule change:

"To enforce the 4x5 rule, in image sharing posts people must post full, uncropped scans of their 4x5 and larger negatives, the full sheet of film, with a ruler next to it so we can determine that it's really 4x5 or larger. Posts without the full sheet of film and the ruler will be moved to the "Everything else" image sharing forum".
    -Adam

Good job, moderators! Things are going fairly smoothly since the last rule clarification.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The fact is. this site accommodates all forms and formats of photography, each in it's place.

Not all sites do that.
    Tin Can

Then why is the thread MPP 6X7 Roll Film Back in the camera& camera accessories subforum?...
    It's not any longer. It's in the Lounge now, where it belongs.

...forgive your servant - I'm still confused...
    Clearly. You are not the servant here. Moderators volunteer to serve the forum community, not vice versa. And they deserve our gratitude for that service, not persistent harassment when enforcing the Usage Guidelines.