Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

I received this with a box of stuff ... it is officially titled "Kodak Static Eliminator"

Can't find anything on the web ... not sure if it is an alteration of a static eliminator used on a processor or some such ... or what it is.

The brush handle is attached to what looks like a probe or wand ... it is attached with a metal band running down its length along the probe/wand and is bolted to the metal band holding the bristles.

As you can see from the placard this thing generates 5000 volts ... not sure what to make of it ... what to do with it ... or how safe it is.

Anybody ever seen or used one of these? Any electrical engineers out there who could comment on this thing?

Re: Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics. Mine has two part. One is a column with brushed meant to pull an 8x10 negative through, and the other is a brush, just like this.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Photographer

I think it's the same as the unit Zone VI sold, or at least similar. The attachment on the brush is supposed to repel dust. Does it work? Maybe. I know the brush works. :-).
    Keith Pitman

They were also made by Chapman Industries of Maine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics. Mine has two part. One is a column with brushed meant to pull an 8x10 negative through, and the other is a brush, just like this.
    Wow ... 3 replies in 30 minutes ... this Forum never ceases to amaze me.

So ... do you guys use it? And, if so, how and for what?

Jim in Sacramento

Primary function is to brush out film holders, simultaneously neutralizing static charge and thereby enabling both removal of existing dust and preventing attraction of more. Also serves the same purpose when brushing off negatives / negative carriers / glass.

At this point, the most likely problem would be breakdown of the cord's dielectric strength, resulting in high voltage leakage and diminished effectiveness. I've not looked lately, but appropriate replacement wire should still be available.

If you want to sell it, send me a PM.

You don't want it. It will make your grass die.

The best thing to do is send it to me, where I will keep it safe forever... :-))
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

It works on the principle of an air ioniser. The brush lifts dust up and the ioniser attracts it. It works buts is not terribly efficient as its efficiency is given (or limited) by the uplifting function of the brush. A gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics.
    There were laptops that used integrated air ioniser in their innards.

In precision lab grade dust control (particles) where we did not need clean room ratings we used laminar flow benches feeding HEPA filtered air from back to front toward the technician. The filtered flow came through a honeycomb grid to ensure the flow was straight and even through the work area volume. Deionizers were also used when static behaviors required active countermeasures, mixed materials in electronic assembly and repair. Brushes spread contamination once encountered. But it sure is a industrial grade piece of photo history.