Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: source for private instruction

source for private instruction

Hello,
    I have been shooting medium format, but am dying to learn how to use a 4 x 5. I would like to have someone come to teach me the beginnings of large format in my studio...(advice on what camera I need, and general beginnings of loading film, processing, etc) Does anyone know of a good resource for finding private instruction?

Thanks so much!

Karen,

Welcome to LF!

Get Steve Simmons book Using the View Camera. There are plenty of people here who can answer any additional questions.

If you want one on one time and your local commmunity college dosen't have a class, call up the local newspaper and see if they can put you onto a cigar chompin speed graphic shootin' retired newspaper photographer still living who wants to talk cameras.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Karen, where are you located?
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Although I'm sure you could find someone in the New York area willing to provide some LF instruction, Karen, it would be important to recognize that much of that information would likely be that person's opinion, rather than neutral fact. Listening to an experienced New York studio shooter, you might, for example, get the impression that a top-of-the-line Sinar 8x10 and a big set of Speedotron Black Line strobes are the only choices. Not bad choices, but perhaps not the best fit for your style of work, requirements, and budget. As such, you might be better off studying the materials on the main page of this site (see the link at the top of the page), and some of the large-format books, to get a sense of the various camera choices and general LF techniques.

Once you've done some basic research, and defined your requirements, there are plenty of people on this forum who can share their opinions and suggestions.

Yes, sorry Jon, I just realized I forgot to mention that. I am in Brooklyn.

BTW, I love the image of the "cigar chompin"- sounds like a project in of itself.

One possibility would be to travel to one of Per Volquartz' free workshops. There usually is a huge variety of equipment and friendly helpful folks. I always bring extra cameras along for just what you've described. Most of us chomp cigars. Per doesn't have to because he has "aura".

And let's not forget the View Camera Conference in Massachusetts this spring. If nothing else there ought to be a lot of folks local to the east coast attending.

I'd be happy to help, but the commute to Indiana is rather boring...

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Karen

Let me support the combination of : a few good books to read and dream at home, plus free get-together meetings where you'll find a lot of enthusiam. It is important to touch the LF equipement and see some examples of results in a friendly atmosphere. But beware, seeing too many platinum prints or 8"x10" 'chromes can be addictive ;-) you have been warned.

Since the last two years I regularly participate to free one-day get-together LF meetings unformally organised from our French LF discussion forum http://www.galerie-photo.info. Next one will be in Burgundy in April and of course an important part of the meeting is the choice of a good restaurant for lunch ;-);-) We consider that "tasting" fine field- or monorail cameras, appreciating fine art prints or LF 'chromes is not really compatible with a fast food restaurant for lunch ;-);-)

Not kidding, I think it is a good idea to have some practice before proceeding to a more professionnal workshop e.g. on zone-system, platinum prints or other refined LF techniques.

Good luck.

An easy answer might be to post a notice in the ICP darkroom; lots of poor students dying to make a buck and show how much they know...

As far as advice all I have to share is my own experence,so here it is Buy yourself Steves book, an ebay 4x5.a Polaroid back
    tons of film and have it.And most of all ask tons of questions. Good luck