Thread: Tripod for a Calumet 4x5

Tripod for a Calumet 4x5

Currently, I have monkeyed around with some stuff I have, and can get my Calumet 4x5 onto an old Velbon Sherpa that I have. The depth of the female receptor on the camera is too deep for the QR plate from the Sherpa, so I had to use the Gitzo adapter base from my Peak Design belt clip, then attach the QR plate to that. Not an ideal setup, and the tripod is just barely stable enough, but I'm not truly comfortable with the setup. I had no plans of getting a 4x5, and had no tripod that would truly work for such a beast.

So I have a chance to grab a tried and true vintage Tiltall, which by all accounts is a good tripod for a 4x5 system. Cost is $40 (seems good to me).

I notice that the Tiltall head is a flat round circle, rather than a rectangular dovetailed piece like what the camera has for the connection. Does that mean I'm back to using/getting a Gitzo QR plate? Just seems that having two plates wouldn't be as stable as it could/should be. Or, is the mounting screw on the Tiltall long enough to reach the recessed female on the camera?

*** Oh, and I do have a Manfrotto 625 Hexagonal QR adapter, but I don't think it will fit the camera either.

Re: Tripod for a Calumet 4x5

should be a textured rubber pad on the top of the tiltall head.. that works pretty good when the camera is cranked down

Is the mounting screw on the Tiltall long enough? Here's the base of the camera:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3750_IJFR_800.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	135987

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3751_IJFR_800.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	135988

I know I can just bring my camera, but it's an hour drive to the place that has it, so if it won't work, and I can save myself the trip, all the better.

Bill Kostelec

Yes, the screw on the tiltall is long enough. I just mounted my Cal 4X5 on one to make sure.

Cool, thanks!

Got the Tiltall, fits perfectly.

I gotta say, this thing is steady! At $40(+/- on the 'Bay), I think every photographer should own one. It's not crazy heavy, can handle just about any weight camera, and gets huge! It may not be the coolest looking tripod out there, but I'm not in this so I look cool. I now understand why there are guys/gals that have been using them for 40+ yrs!

From what I understand, the center column can ve used as a monopod. I see how it comes out, but does one of the legs come off the pod to attach to the column?

I started using my 4x5 Calumet on a Tiltall in 1973. It was a very good paring for many years. I've gotten another Tiltall using the old one to hold my iPad when I shoot digitally. (The images transfer to the iPad so the client can review the images.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    Got the Tiltall, fits perfectly.

I gotta say, this thing is steady! At $40(+/- on the 'Bay), I think every photographer should own one. It's not crazy heavy, can handle just about any weight camera, and gets huge! It may not be the coolest looking tripod out there, but I'm not in this so I look cool. I now understand why there are guys/gals that have been using them for 40+ yrs!

From what I understand, the center column can ve used as a monopod. I see how it comes out, but does one of the legs come off the pod to attach to the column?
    Look here, but there are many models over time. http://tiltalltripod.com/Aboutus.html
    Tin Can