Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs...

Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs...

Ellis,

I've had the opportunity to use both the 14N and DCS Pro/C. For the Kodak, you could probably change film holders faster than it can write to its card. I think an old 386 could clear a 512mb buffer faster. Moire is an ongoing problem whether you use Kodak's software or ACR. Many claim they can easily remove it....however, they are just removing the color channel moire. The left over moire in the luminosity channel cannot be removed. Now for the painterly issue....which does remain an issue even when processed in ACR. This causes rather odd looking foliage in a small percentage of the shots I've done.....maybe 20%. But you can't tell until you view on screen. Need we even mention the noise problems. The noise in the shadows at ISO 160 is worse than I get from film in 35MM from 800ISO. It's purely horrible. I've had people point it out at ISO 160 in 8x12 prints. Shadow noise at ISO 160 is worse than I get at ISO 1600 from my 10D.

All in all, I choose the 1DS over the Kodak......and my RB67 over both. I've found that the people who are happy with it have lower standards for output than those who are use to clean 16x20 prints from better quality digital backs, or MF 6X7 or LF 4X5.

Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs...

The Leaf backs are currently using DALSA CCD's