Thread: Linhof Tech III sports finder

Linhof Tech III sports finder

Anybody out there know anything about these. I have seen one for sale at MPEX but am rather unfamiliar with exactly what it is. Jim says it uses the accessory shoe and is a wire frame type?
    I am only familiar witht the universal type. Is this something along the lines of the system used on the speed graphic and will it work with different lenses. I have seen the little pop-up type that is only for "N" or "T" lenses. Any info is a great help. A universal seems to be out of the buget at this time.

Linhof made several wire frame or sportsfinder viewers over the years. Some had a single wire frame for a 150mm lens and others had multiple frames to use different lenses. Some had the wire frame plug into the holes on top of the front standard and the peep sight placed in the accessory shoe. Others had the entire finder placed in the shoe. They also made one with plexiglass masks rather then a wire frame.

Do you know which type you are actually being offered?

The Peep site is calibrated and adjustable for distance. You may want to check that it is marked in feet if you are not comfortable with meters, or vice versa.

Thanks Bob: Jim A from Mpex sent me some pix : it is a peep sight with 2 wire frames that fits into the accessory shoe. Unfortunately the frames are calibrated to 150mm and 240mm for 4x5, 105 and 180 for 6x9 and 210 and 360 for 5x7. I planned on using my 180mm computar and my 90mmSA so it seems that it won't quite work for me, unless someone out there know of a way change it.

One possibility on the wide side (i.e. for Your 90mm) is tracking down the not-uncommon 75mm Polaroid 600 SE viewfinder. This one have dial-type paralax compensation, about the same height above lens axis as a technika 4"x5", and the 75mm format for polaroid packfilm (for which the finder is intenden) is not far off 90mm on 4"x5". It's not a perfect viewfinder thoug, due to less than perfect outline of format frames (TV-frame outline instead of straight rectangular outline)