Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going cross country, exhibit hopping!

Re: Going cross country, exhibit hopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    . . . @Jim Jones: Thanks for that. I unusually just plow ahead and see what comes. The map seems to show that most of that construction is scheduled to wrap up on June 26--I'll get there afterwards. Do you think they'll really be done by then? I'll be kleaving Denver at 6:00 pm or so, after visiting the Denver Art Museum. . . .
    --Darin
    The construction almost 80 miles east of Kansas City continues until December and perhaps around the clock. I've heard that it is down to one lane each way at times.

I saw a note somewhere that there will be a Herb Ritts exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I'm just not sure exactly when it will close (it opened in March).
    http://www.rockhall.com/exhibits/her...ock-portraits/

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    I saw a note somewhere that there will be a Herb Ritts exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I'm just not sure exactly when it will close (it opened in March).
    http://www.rockhall.com/exhibits/her...ock-portraits/
    Nice. Thanks,

--Darin

@Jac: We will actually be sort of near Winona. On the way back the kids are coming with me and the younger one is looking at colleges, one in Madison. If we continue north we'll stop by. Thanks.
    We have two universities here. Winona State and St. Mary's.
    Check out Winona State's Science building, Stark Hall. It is amazing.

Gosh, what an impoverished photo. Not mine. I will make a new one tomorrow or so.

+1 on A Gallery of Fine Photography in New Orleans. We visited a number of years ago and they had quite an extensive collection. Probably 80% of the images on display, I had seen either in a magazine or photo books. The list of artist was also quite intensive, almost every artist that I had read about or come across in the history of photography were represented as well as many more that I did not know. Most of the images were traditional silver gelatin but also represented were Dye transfer, both color and B&W Carbon Transfer prints, as well as a number of other alternative process. Many of the prints on display were from the early to mid 1900's with a few from the late 1800's and a number from 1990 - 2001. I could have spent hours just roaming about but we had another couple in tow.

Royal street on which the gallery is located also has a number of other fine art galleries. Just down the street is the Rodrigue Studio known for his Blue Dog painting.

Always had a great time in New Orleans and unfortunately gain a few pounds every time we visit.

O.K., on the way, 300 miles. Went through Yosemite and ended up in Mammouth Lakes. Stopped by the Ansel Adams Gallery (can those large inkjet "Replica Prints" get any worse? Ugh!).

Also stopped by the Museum. Landscape painting. Thought it would be dull but it was in fact very cool. Here are the highlights I can share (see attachments).

#1. The docent said that this was the first image of Yosemite. Period. First drawing, painting, anything. By Thomas Ayers, 1855.

#2. This giant guest book has guest names on one side and advertisements for local businesses on the other. Look closely for your "treat."

#3. This smaller guest book they *claim* has two famous names on the pages it is open to: Albert Bierstadt and Clarence King. But I don't see them.

Very cool...

--Darin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book 2 Yosemite.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	135893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book Yosemite.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	135894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st Yosemite.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	135895

Oh, I forgot. There's one more highlight for LF Photographers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Yosemite Museum.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	135896

Oh, and I think we just had an Earthquake here in Mammoth Lakes...

--Darin

http://www.kxnet.com/story/29233919/...ns-new-display

http://www.prairievillagemuseum.com/

If you go through North Dakota, hit the Geographical Center of the North American Continent and visit the Prairie Village Museum. They have a nice show of images from Tillman Cranes photo workshop held in the area.

Work from Tillmans 24 inch platinum/palladium prints to straight digital. Some very good images. All are from the past five years and feature the old and abandoned farms and churches in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    ...Might stop in Yosemite. Anyone know what is in the gallery there? Seems a little hard to discover via the Internet.

--Darin
    I should have a print or two up at the Ansel Adams Gallery in the show going up in a couple of days -- up until early August. "Set in Stone" so it will be basically rock images.

Dang -- looked at the date of your post....looks like you were too early...maybe on the way back (show is up until Aug 9th).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Santa Fe is definitely worth a stop on the way to Denver. The Andrew Smith Gallery, The Georgia O'Keefe museum (has some very fine photos including the AA photo of GO & Orville Cox) & the New Mexico Museum of Art.... The A. Smith is an incredible gallery. I saw more depth in the photography than any gallery i visited in Tokyo, Paris or London.