Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going cross country, exhibit hopping!

Going cross country, exhibit hopping!

O.K., I head out in the morning, driving cross country, exhibit hopping. California to Ohio and back over five weeks. I have no real plan yet but want to stop in Denver, Kansas City and St Louis. I was planning on going to LA to see several shows but just ordered the catalogues on Amazon thinking maybe it is just too damn hot down there.

If you know of any great shows--especially stuff (photography or art in general) that is at smaller venues that I might miss, please post here. I'm even bringing a bunch of work of my won with me--figured I'd clue my family in, back in Ohio, on just what it is that I do....

Bringing all kinds of photo gear but I never do any serious work like I think i will when I'm traveling. Maybe fodder for Instagram, we'll see.

Might stop in Yosemite. Anyone know what is in the gallery there? Seems a little hard to discover via the Internet.

--Darin

Re: Going cross country, exhibit hopping!

Don't have advice on shows, but will express deep and lasting envy!

Have a great, great trip.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Once you get to Ohio, I don't know where you'll be, but the art museums in Akron and Cleveland both have photography exhibitions right now.

https://akronartmuseum.org/exhibitio...ollection/8129
    http://www.clevelandart.org/events/e...ca-norris-webb

And if you go as far East as Pittsburgh:
    http://www.cmoa.org/ExhibitionDetail.aspx?id=24483

If you'll be anywhere near Cuyahoga National Park, give a shout out and someone might be able to meet you there to shoot. It's a great place.

Expect delays between Kansas City and St. Louis along I-70. Go to http://traveler.modot.org/map/ for up-t0-date information. Other states probably provide similar information.

Toronto is three hour drive north of Ohio... Lots of venues up here.

Consider visiting the Driftless Area. Stop by our small town of Winona, Minnesota to visit our modest museum. Be prepared for a very pleasant surprise.

Peter

I just returned from New Orleans and discovered an amazing shop/gallery in the French Quarter. They had on display more iconic american photos and photographers than I thought possible under one roof.
    Check out this list of their inventory and perhaps reconsider going to LA (that is Louisianna, not Los Angeles)
    http://www.agallery.com/aspx/inventory.aspx

if you pass through kansas, I have some photographs and a set of books I made in collaboration with a printmaker up at the Lawrence Art Center in Lawrence, KS, opening on june 26th. 40x50 inkjets from 8x10.

the place:
    http://lawrenceartscenter.org/upcoming-exhibitions/

the work:
    http://tonjatorgerson.com/2013/04/street-work/

You must stop by the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum At Kansas City. This museum started to collect photography works with Hall Family Fund 5 or 10 years ago. Check it's website for current exhibition.

One day delay in leaving--stayed up too late last night and didn't want to start out groggy...

@Winger: I know Akron well--I grew up there. The Akron Art Museum had many great photo exhibits when I was growing up--rather astonishing how good they were when I look back. The current show, which I have not seen but which my wife has--is in many ways a review of that period. I plan on visiting when I'm there and Cleveland, too. I'm staying at a house on Smith Road but once I'm in town things get crazy with family and my schedule is not my own. I'll ping you if I get some time to myself.

@Jim Jones: Thanks for that. I unusually just plow ahead and see what comes. The map seems to show that most of that construction is scheduled to wrap up on June 26--I'll get there afterwards. Do you think they'll really be done by then? I'll be kleaving Denver at 6:00 pm or so, after visiting the Denver Art Museum.

@Bob Carnie: I love Toronto! Visited it when I was a kid--my Dad was really into zoos. Yours was (is?) phenomenal.

@Jac: We will actually be sort of near Winona. On the way back the kids are coming with me and the younger one is looking at colleges, one in Madison. If we continue north we'll stop by. Thanks.

@Peter: Sadly, I had planned to go to New Orleans this trip--I've never been there--but living on the coast has made me a wimp in terms of heat. Anything over 70 seems warm. Over 80, hot. Over 90 seems dangerous, and over 100 is just hard to think about.Looks like low 90s there new, but to get there....whew....I've been in forty-three states but Louisiana will have to wait another year.

@andy: My current plans have me driving right by Lawrence, in fact. I've added the show to my list of possibilities. Thanks!

@diversey: I've crossed the country by car and train every year for ten years now, driving right through Kansas City in many cases, driving near it in all cases, and only last year did I visit the Nelson-Atkins. I was amazed. How did I miss this place all this time. It is now on my "must stop at" list for any time I'm in the area.

--Darin