Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Lens

Foamer

My New Lens

A couple of weeks ago I took a chance on a CC Harrison lens on ebay. I've always wanted one, especially an early one. (I'm a sucker for very early lenses in general!) The provided photos were poor and I couldn't really tell anything about the condition of the glass. Seller refused to even try to unscrew the elements. I interpreted this as they did try and couldn't do it. They mentioned dirt inside the lens but wouldn't tell me if it was dark or light colored, or how much. They also had no clue about coverage or FL. (I deduced it was quarter plate and about 4 in.) They wanted four hundred dollars! I requested more photos but they wouldn't do it. Usually I run from this kind of seller, but OTOH lens dated to 1851 and from what I could tell there was nothing really wrong with the lens. It came down to if it had fungus and if the elements unscrewed.

I ended up taking a chance. The fact it was small and definitely dated to 1851 were the deciding factors. Lens came a few days later and I couldn't wait to get it home. I took it out of the box in my car while still parked in front of the post office! Lens looked very good overall. The glass appeared perfect! Now for the final test. I got a good grip on the front element and gave it a firm twist. It resisted a little, then easily came out! Same for the rear group. The front group easily reversed and screwed into the rear of the barrel. It's an early convertible! Radial drive worked flawlessly, there was no mold or dirt, glass was immaculate, and the brass was much better than the description or photos indicated. The original flange was included and easily unscrewed. In short: I SCORED!

Lens turns out to be about 5 in. (125mm), maybe a tad longer, and looks to be about f2.5. Image looks super on the GG of my Chamonix 045n! Serial is 1632. My plan is to send it off to Adam at SK Grimes and have him put it in Nikon F mount so I can use it on my Nikon D800E. It will be cool to be using an 1851 lens on that ultra modern camera! I likely won't see any swirly stuff, but cripes, how many people can claim they are using a pre-Civil War lens on their DSLR? Yes, I'm excited here!

So, anyone have any more info about the lens? I did read up about CC Harrison on all the standard internet sites. I think $400 is probably the upper limit of what it's worth, but for a lens in such basically good condition and so old, AND from CC Harrison, I don't think I got hurt any. It easily passed an inspection by Annie the Cat.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NikonF3t CCharrison.jpg   CCharrison1851.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

Re: My New Lens

PS--

The Nikon F3/T was another recent ebay score from a Japanese collector. I don't think it was ever used! I added AiS lenses 28mm f2, 50mm f1.2, 105mm f2.5. This plus a few filters and A/S QR plate all fit neatly into a very small Tamrac bag. Perfect for summer outings!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

What is about the cat in picture?

Cat is obviously to provide scale: lens is approximately one-quarter cat long, thus, a quarter-cat lens, not the usual half-cat or full-cat format.

Congratulations on your purchase! I also have made some nice buys when the seller had no ability or inclination to provide any useful information.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Foamer

Whenever I set up the white foam boards on the dining room table and get ready to take a shot, Annie has to jump up and check it all out. Every time! Every photo I have of cameras and lenses has her in it somewhere.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Darlot00a.jpg   Rolleiflex.jpg   101_1784.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria

Nice lens. Do you plan to also try it on 4x5? Cats are good luck for my photography. I developed 4x5 sheet film tonight and Jade supervised on the kitchen counter's edge. They also inspect my LF cameras for mice and critters inside the bellows. Be glad Annie checked inside your camera so it's all okay. Good girl.

Yes, giving something a "Cat Scan" is a good idea. And, if you have a black or yellow Lab that will sniff it, a Lab test isn't a bad idea either.

Foamer

Yes yes! A cat scan! I do plan on using the lens on my Chamonix as well as the Nikon. It looks very, very nice on the GG. Very smooth.

Below photo:
    Annie looks into the Evil Scanner.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CatScan2.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria

Congratulations, on your new lens Kent!

Just remember... "There are some things money can't buy (like Annie 'The Cat').
    For everything else, there is MasterCard."

Best regards, -Tim.

I would use this on large format (4x5 if it will cover). using it on 35mm is going to be underwhelming I'd think, and wont' show the true interesting results of a lens like this.