Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 4x5 movements don't stay in place

Chamonix 4x5 movements don't stay in place

I have a Chamonix 4x5 view camera and I'm having trouble getting the camera movements to stay in place. As an example, I was using rear tilt to get some rocks in the foreground in focus for a landscape shot. However, the slightest movement of the dark cloth, or trying to put the film holder in kept pulling the camera back further, ruining the focus. I try to lock everything down tightly, but I'm worried that if I twist the screws any tighter I'll strip the threads. Has anyone had this problem before and are there any solutions?

Re: Chamonix 4x5 movements don't stay in place

Which Chamonix model?

I have a 45n1 and the movements are definitely not locked down tight unless you really crank the screws. But I've never felt I was close to breaking/stripping anything. But perhaps there is a problem, like a missing washer or something?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I think it's the 045N-2

Never had an issue with either of my chamonix 4x5's. I'll admit that the rear could lock down tighter and it will move if you pick up the camera by the back or bump it. Never an issue while shooting though.

Only have the 8x10 and I feel quite the opposite, I don't even need to really crank it to get a nice stiff lock.

I wonder if like Corran said, your stuff is missing parts?

Post pictures of the moving areas, maybe we can identify the issue. If not, I'll take it off your hands since its "broken" you should sell it to me cheap

Pictures please.

I'm sure it'll be fine with the least bit of tweaking.

Preston Birdwell

I've not had a problem with my 045N-2, either. All the locks work nicely for me.

Is this a new from the factory camera, or did you buy it used. If it was used, it's possible the locks were over-tightened previously, and/or a washer is missing /broken. In any event, pictures would help, and you might also consider sending Hugo an e-mail. You can contact him through the Chamonix website.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Thanks for the comments I'll post pictures when I'm back home. It was bought brand new from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    Thanks for the comments I'll post pictures when I'm back home. It was bought brand new from the factory.
    I would contact Hugo for sure but also I would check all the locking bolts etc. make sure there's nothing loose.

This might sound dumb but, are you turning them in the right direction? If you unscrew them, they don't screw off, they hit a stopping point which can SEEM like the same tension as when you're locking them down, but in fact they are completely loose. I know it sounds dumb but make sure you're actually tightening them.

And again check the inner nut that holds on the knob and make sure those are tight too.

Looking forward to pictures.

Have I heard this before? On a DLC, maybe? (Just kidding, it is a somewhat common issue with them )
    Actually, assuming that the camera is right, I think you can get it tight enough without breaking anything... I`ve been doing so on my DLC for years, with no issues at all.
    What Corran says above. Notice that you don`t need to tighten the standards to the limit; maybe just a little bit tighter is enough.
    BTW, holder spring tension use to be on the hard side, so also a bit of technique is needed to avoid pulling anything. I`d say this "extreme lightweight" cameras are not as... "solid?" as other designs (disclaimer; I have never used a Chamonix... ).