Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lists?

Re: Lists?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
    One of the best lists is from this website:
    I would disagree with at least half of this.....

--Use a composing card. - No, don't use a stupid thing to visualize, use your eyes, learn to see what fits in the camera....
    --Use shifts to point the camera. -- No, point your camera in the direction of your image... shifts move things in and out of the frame, should be deliberate
    --Choose the best location for the plane of focus. -- only sometimes, when it makes sense... use depth of field, understand how things work..
    --Choose the largest aperture that will provide adequate depth of field. - NO!, learn how well your lens works at f45 - or doesn't - and decide from there.

Yea, in summary, I agree with Evan here, lists are a total waste of time.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    I am curious to find out what value lists have to making pictures.
    When waiting for the wind to subside or light to change, creating lists is a great way to pass the time. ;^)

Best rock guitarists of all time.
    Most intense Faulkner novels.
    Sexiest high school girlfriends.
    Most enchanting tent spots.
    Favorite carnivorous dinosaurs.

As for most intense Faulkner novel, I can't decide between "Absalom, Absalom!" and "Light in August."

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Evan, not sure exactly what you are asking, but I started a post a week or so back, in the lens section, asking if there was a list of lens types, showing specific data for each type of lens (Tessar, Petzval, etc). My reason is just curiosity. Example, I just acquired from a forum member, a 360mm f/6.3 Yamasaki Congo lens in barrel - and I have no idea what kind of lens it is...tessar, dyalite,...? Not that it's going to make any difference as to how I use the lens (or how well I use the lens) once I do know...I just wanted to know.
    360mm f6.3 Yamasaki Congo? I have one in a Copal #3 shutter. It's a sharp sharp Tessar that works superbly on a Tachihara 8x10.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

A cable release and loaded film holders are nice.
    Don't ask me how I know that
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    360mm f6.3 Yamasaki Congo? I have one in a Copal #3 shutter. It's a sharp sharp Tessar that works superbly on a Tachihara 8x10.
    Thanks Maris...will add that to my list...
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg