I am amazed how my ambient light meter does a perfect job exposing my Velvia chr omes when the light meter is saturated with the same light as the subject is. I t seems sensless to make spot meter readings and then interpret the refelctivity % and translate that back into stops to compensate the spot meter reading... ho wever, there is one area that this ambient reading consistently fails me, and I don't know why...

Under broad daylight, evergreen trees are saturated with bright sunlight, my ambient meter is reading the same bright sunlight, so I shoot at the reading on my abient meter.... focused at infinity of course, no issues of bellows compe nsation... the image is always to dark, by 1 stop to 1.5 stops, so I have to o pen up an additional 1 - 1.5 stops everytime, and then the evergreens are expose d properly. Does anyone know why this phenomina occurs? Where it really gets m e is when the evergreen trees are only a small portion of the scene, then the sc ene will get exposed properly, but the Evergreens are too dark? Any input would be greatly appreicated. Thank you..