Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2015 portraits

Re: June 2015 portraits

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Request for feedback.

The ORIGINALS Project. June 29, 2015. This is a photo project where I invite people that I find/meet whom I find to be distinctly and proudly original in this world of wannabe sameness to a short photo session on film.

I am deep in the midst of processing film for the first two subjects. I have only processed the 4x5 film at this point but have pulled 2 photos for sample. As I discussed in my FSC blog post (http://filmshooterscollective.com/…/...ting-a-look…)I am shooting both medium and large format film. These images were made on an 8x10 Deardorff using 4x5 Acros with a 1920's Goerz Dagor.

My current plan is to have a more formal portrait of each of the subjects (these are an example of this) followed by MF images that show a bit more about what makes them stand out and be "original" to me. These will follow shortly.

What I would love to know from you all is this:
    1. General thoughts – Likes, dislikes, etc. I'm a recovering New Yorker, you can be as brutally honest.
    2. What do you see when you look at these portraits – Do they make you feel something?
    3. Anything else that strikes you.

What I don't want:
    I am not looking for comments on how the subjects look (too skinny, too fat, beauty, etc.). These are portraits of real people that are not manipulated to fit the general "beauty" standards today. What makes them beautiful is the strength to be who they are, unapologetically.

I am having each subject write a paragraph on who they are and what makes them original and this will be included with each series (2-3) of images of each subject. A photographic mini biography if you like.
    This is a long term project that will be continuing for quite some time and will be evolving as it makes sense to. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

The Originals Project 2015 by Tim Scott, on Flickr

My girlfriend Candace photographs Jocelyn aka "wistfulaurora" too!! I REALLY like this portrait of her it's different from the other stuff I see on her tumblr/portfolio. It's definitely a nice compliment to her portfolio.. You should give her a print of this it's a great headshot! At first glance I really thought this was a professional actor type of headshot...I could honestly see this photo being printed in a magazine article or something similar. I think if you are going to have them write something about themselves that it might help to have a few of them be direct portraits or at least making eye contact. I really like the feel of the portrait with the eye contact... it kind of adds to something that I can't really explain when compared to the other portrait...I guess it helps show a strong personality that's not afraid to show who they are and be proud of it. And if you want to make a portrait that doesn't make eye contact or focus solely on eye contact with the model then maybe look into another way you can expand on sharing what you find to be "original" about them

For example (but I guess you did mention having MF Images later to post for the shots that will be seen as "original" to you): http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCQQMygIMAg

Sorry if this isn't the type of feedback you were looking for lol I just wanted to comment because my girlfriend has photographed her before and I liked the portrait. ^__^

Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post
    This came out very interesting! Has sort of a unique look to it...it could use with some spotting but it's a good portrait

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Sergei - your work is beautiful as always and I too like the new look of this one. Glad your wife is feeling better.

Regards,

Pali
    Thank you, Pali.

Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post
    I'll be super interested in what the subjects write

unlike Avedon's americans...it feels like I could step out the door and run into any one of these people... which I like as it's easy to be edgy if you go way out of your way to cherrypick the oddest looking people you can find

Q: do you just go up to people..camera in hand..or do you recon them first??

I always wanted to just grab people off the street and right into a studio.. 5 minutes and it's over

Mr. Joe Haldeman, science fiction writer. A Grandmaster of SF, a title bestowed by other writers in SFWA. Part of the "Worldbuilders of SF&F" project

http://richardmanphoto.com/worldbuilders.html

My #3 son on Fathers Day

Graflex RB Series D 4X5 w/7.5" Kodak Anastigmat / Ilford HP5
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Hah! Managed to get back to shooting right before end of month!
    Wife felt better, so we played a bit.

8x10. 360mm Imagon with 5.6 disk,

Poetry by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Sergei,
    Only one word comes to mind... Athena!
    Thanks for posting. (Ok, that was 3 more words)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I'll be super interested in what the subjects write

unlike Avedon's americans...it feels like I could step out the door and run into any one of these people... which I like as it's easy to be edgy if you go way out of your way to cherrypick the oddest looking people you can find

Q: do you just go up to people..camera in hand..or do you recon them first??

I always wanted to just grab people off the street and right into a studio.. 5 minutes and it's over
    Thanks you for kind words Sir. let me try to give best possible answers. I love to get people involved and shooting LF specially 8x10 works wonders. Charm is a lubricant and if my characters are playful its a game on. Usually first thing i do is i tell them how this photography is like no other and how time has to stop until we are finished. if they are in to it, and usually by that point they are, game is on. if not i come and re visit them or find them again when cards are right...

this gentleman in a photo is a good friend of mine veteran, well known Canadian DJ Prison Grad, who after 20+ yers on the road decided to slow down and he opened a barber shop as his "retirement"/day job. he has a business partner who is motorcycle and bike builder that learned how to cut hair as well. place is super nice, allways phenomenal music, pit bulls, motorcycles are always present but you can bump in to opera singers and midgets or neuro surgeon. i love to go there, just for coffee and to procrastinate and hustle some cheerful and squirrely characters to be in my photos.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Mr. Joe Haldeman, science fiction writer. A Grandmaster of SF, a title bestowed by other writers in SFWA. Part of the "Worldbuilders of SF&F" project

http://richardmanphoto.com/worldbuilders.html
    this is spot on! just his eye's and colors of the picture suggested to me SF! as soon as i read your description i was not surprised. grate

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Sergei,
    Only one word comes to mind... Athena!
    Thanks for posting. (Ok, that was 3 more words)

Chris
    Thank you, Chris, thats very kind of you