Thread: repairing a 15 in f5.6 Wollensak telephoto.

repairing a 15 in f5.6 Wollensak telephoto.

Firstly, a diaphragm leaf seems to have dislodged itself. How do I disassemble the lens to gain access ( there are several sets of screws. ) secondly, if I were to put a shutter in this, what size, even if I could find one. I am also going to hunt on the net, but I appreciate the collective wisdom of the group.

Re: repairing a 15 in f5.6 Wollensak telephoto.

I've got one with an identical problem.
    Whatever you do, don't let it slip and fall on your toes, or you might not be able to walk for a week. :-)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Cells will screw into a Betax #4 shutter. I removed my cells and used them in my shutter, and now have put them back into the aperture and can not get it to work...so I have to shoot wide open or put back into the Betax...darn.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

So I took the rear cell off and gently manipulated the leaf back into position and it works fine. I couldn't unscrew the front element so I will wait until a #4 Beta comes my way to try again. In the meantime I will mount it on my speed graphic.

multiplex

i have seen the cells mounted in a giant alphax shutter

Quote Originally Posted by someonenameddavid View Post
    So I took the rear cell off and gently manipulated the leaf back into position and it works fine. I couldn't unscrew the front element so I will wait until a #4 Beta comes my way to try again. In the meantime I will mount it on my speed graphic.
    Alphax #4 or Betax #4. I had the same problem with the front cell - but I did manage to get it out, but in the process did some damage to the aperture If you do acquire a shutter but it does not have the correct aperture scale (f/4.5 rather than f/5.6), I think I made one I could email and you could print it out, cut, and glue on or at least use for reference.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

to anyone who does this: make sure the tiny grub screws on the side of the barrel are removed before you try to unscrew the front cell..... mine now sits in an Alphax 4 Synchromatic. A great lens; needs an adapter for filters.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."