Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacemaker Speed Graphic - My Quest Begins Again

Re: Pacemaker Speed Graphic - My Quest Begins Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What is AE (means auto-exposure to me).
    Aero Ektar

Jeffery Dale Welker

Lots of terrific info thus far - thanks a bunch. Please keep the comments coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    A pacemaker might be chosen for a graflok back and more movements. If you want to use instant film, the bigger capacity of the graflok back lets you slide in the instant film back.
    To add to jp's comment on graflok back, the camera backs ( meaning the entire back, with the gg focus frame) for Anniversary, Pacemaker, and Crown
    are interchangeable, I have a graflok back installed on my Anniversary Graphic. So you're not limited to just the Pacemaker.

The instant film back for the defunct Polaroid ( 545 ) peel apart films will fit under the graflok gg frame, the Fuji ( PA-145 ) and the Polaroid plastic backs will not,
    you'll have to remove the gg frame and use the sliding locks.

My choice for a SG/AE combo would be an Anniversary model for the reasons Ed, JP, and Jim give. If you want front movements, you can put the front standard from a Pacemaker 4x5 on an Anniversary camera. You can also transplant a Pacemaker Graflok back to the Anniversary, although this throws the framing of the sports finder off.

Highly recommend a graflok back, for all the reasons mentioned, plus it takes Grafmatics beautifully and any other back you could ever want (PA-45, PA-145, 545, horseman rollfilm back, etc.)

Consider the 135 and 150 xenotars as good alternative lenses to the AE also. They are sometimes more $ (usually) but will fold up within the camera (150 requires a custom recessed lensboard to do so). Also, the 8" pentac f/2.9 lens is another good fast lens choice.

You'll need a Kalart side-mounted RF if you want to calibrate it to the AE.

I also preferred the Anniversary model - because it has more selections for shutter speeds from the FP shutter, compared to the Pacemaker.

I happen to have an extra custom carbon-fiber lensboard for a Aero Ektar for an Anniversary camera, if you are interested.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome