Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: verito

verito

And of course yet another possibility is that the lens was used both for enlarging and as a taking lens, which used to be a more common practice.

verito

I think that was the case . A all in one lens. as is said on page 21 of the 1919 catalog. I quote. "By using the diffusing stops with the verito the sharpest of negatives are made to breath a softness of unparalleled beauty." That tells me projection / enlarging lens. It goes on to say, "veritos no2. to no.5 are now supplied slotted to receive the stops". (no.5 is a 14 1/2") 11x14 can be specially slotted atan additional charge of 7.50, including stops. " It seems to me what they are saying is that at one time the slot and diffusion stops were an option and in 1919 they just started slotting them all and if you wanted the diffusion stops you had the option to buy them. Btw the 11x14 was their no.7 model

verito

David I'm not at all interested in using this as an enlarging lens . I was just curious as why one of my veritos has a slot in it and one don't is all. The diffusion stops kid of look like what a pentac starlite lens looks stopped down.

verito

kind*.....excuse my penmanship

verito

Robert,

I have several Veritos, some of which have the mounting flange near the middle of the lens behind the Studio shutter. IIRC my 14.5" model in Studio has the slot for diffusion discs and the 18", 11.5", 8 3/4", and 7" have none. All those are in Studios with the flange mid-lens. Another 8 3/4" w/o slot came mounted in a Betax #5 shutter. One 18" Verito has a barrel with a simple iris diaphragm located mid-lens. No slot. That lens is threaded into what appears to be a dedicated factory 6" square metal lensboard at the rear of the lens.

I've seen pictures of the diffusion disc online somewhere. It was sort of a 3-pointed star with small circles on the ends of the rays and one in the center. I think there were also a few lines radiating in the spaces between the 3-pointed star IIRC. If you could envision a (flat) sand dollar with 3 rays instead of 5, that's what it reminded me of. It was either on an auction or perhaps glennview.com if memory serves. I'd check glennview.com but I'm home on a dial-up connection and his site takes forever to load due to the huge number of pictures he has of his equipment for sale.

verito

Hi there,

The diffusion disk has a center hole with 3 main rays out to points and 6 minor rays out to points between. I did download a photo of it but do not know how to attach it here. According to the Wollensak catalog they could all be used for enlarging and they would match the 10 and the 7 1/2" lenses for the Kodak auto-focus enlargers if you sent your's in. Ebay is useful for lots of things.

How do you attach pictures here?

verito

My 14 1/2" Verito has the slot, and clunky Studio shutter, but no diffusion discs. I've resorted to using very slow film for available light portraits at wide apertures, after producing some absolutely bullet-proof HP5+ negs. There's more than one way to skin a cat!