Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Developing old Super-XX: Can I do better?

Developing old Super-XX: Can I do better?

I just got a 5x7 camera to see if the format works for me, and looking at my 5x7 film stock--the cupboard is quite bare. The bulk of what I have is about 250 sheets of 1974 Super-XX. I shot 10 sheets at EI 100 and test developed the first one in 1.5:1.5:100 Pyrocat HD for 12 minutes @ 68 degrees F. Using a (non-UV) densitometer, I got the following readings:

base+fog = 0.35
    DMax = 1.78

Can I get a better a density range? I'm going to be contact printing the negs, but the fog and DR will dictate the process I use. Although I'd like to make albumen prints, it may not be practical. The reading for my current 8x10 negs on TMX are:

base+fog = 0.10
    DMax = 1.97

If I increase the development time, will the DMax gain density appreciably faster than the base fog? Would increasing the developer concentration to 2:2:100 be better for suppressing the fog? What about adding benzotriazole? I've also read that HC-110 may be better with old film--can it be used in rotary processing? Is it likely to knock down the fog density in comparison to the DMax? Any help from forum members with vintage film experience is appreciated.

Drew Wiley

Re: Developing old Super-XX: Can I do better?

Super-XX was a true thick emulsion film. So one risk with old film is the emulsion frilling or blistering off, or possibly reticulating. So you want to be quite careful
    to keep your temperature between different solutions, including the wash water, fairly close, and preferably not above 20C. Otherwise, good luck - you'll need it!

Drew Wiley

Oh... yeah, your base fog isn't horrendous at this point, and Super-XX normally accepted quite a boost in gamma with prolonged development, but that just increases the risk of what I just described. Few films have as low a fbf as Tmax. Give longer development a try; but you might end up on a tight rope. It was
    a wonderful film.

Ask at: http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/default.asp
    Michael should be able to help you.

Thanks Drew and Chris. I'm being very careful with temperature, thanks to the Jobo and Intellifaucet. Honestly, the results are better than I expected, and the fog is uniform--so I should be able to print through it. The development time is probably best kept short, but I'll also check the Azo forum.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

My experience with old film like that is that DK-50 works quite well clearing the base and getting some contrast back.

I still use D-76 at 68-70 deg. F. for Super XX. The heavy base fog is not unusual. Super XX has an extremely long straight line curve and thus is able to produce a very long tonal range. Although I use PyrocatHD for most modern film. I do not use it with this one.

Try upping the Pyrocat dilution, say to 2 + 2+ 100.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

"If I increase the development time, will the DMax gain density appreciably faster than the base fog? Would increasing the developer concentration to 2:2:100 be better for suppressing the fog? What about adding benzotriazole? I've also read that HC-110 may be better with old film--can it be used in rotary processing? Is it likely to knock down the fog density in comparison to the DMax? Any help from forum members with vintage film experience is appreciated."
    1. Yes the HL density will increase more rapidly than the base fog.
    2. Increasing the concentration will not suppress the fog. Developing with less agitation(aeration) by tray development will reduce the base fog. Doing so reduced my salt printing times by almost 50%.
    3. I just re-read some negatives from the 1950's. The base fog was not significantly less than I get today with D-76.
    When Super XX was on the market the most common developers for it were D-23, D-76 and DK-20. Some used ABC Pyro, but this is a pyrocatechol developer, not a pyrocatechin.

In general maximum density is an asymptote that is approximated by the following formula

Y = Yz (1-e^-kt)

Y = Gamma
    Yz = Maximum gamma the film can produce with maximum development
    e = 2.71828
    k = a constant for the film in question
    t = development time

Short answer to your question: Keep testing with increased development times until your Dmax stops increasing.