Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern film holders for old view camera like Korona/Kodak 2D/Ansco?

Re: Modern film holders for old view camera like Korona/Kodak 2D/Ansco?

To be clear, I own several 80-100 year old cameras and have used them with all sorts of holders old and new, some of them at least theoretically matched to the backs but many not. Somehow I've managed to make pictures I'm happy with.

How difficult it is to fix a mismatch depends on the direction of the error. If the GG is too close to the lens, it's easy to use shims to move it outward. But if it's too far, you have to do surgery on the back to bring it closer.

Good luck and have fun!

Yep, as I wrote. One certainly can get fabulous results with those old cameras, otherwise I wouldn't be looking for one. And the age would match that of many of my favourite lenses.

You are right, the direction of the error makes a big difference in the way how to correct it. What I assumed was that the necessary amount of correction (if any) would be smaller if the standards would be the same. Right?

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    What I assumed was that the necessary amount of correction (if any) would be smaller if the standards would be the same. Right?
    That's a plausible speculation if we assume that departures from standard are random and distributed in a well-behaved way. But I doubt anybody has systematic data on vintage view camera manufacture that would enable that assumption to be verified.