Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner: Regular or DB lenses?

Beginner: Regular or DB lenses?

Hello everyone,

since I have recently acquired my first LF camera I'm looking to purchase 2-3 lenses, ranging between 100mm and 230mm. Prices of the DB lenses make them extremely attractive, yet it's a totally new concept for me. Would you recommend starting out with those or would you just buy some good, "regular" glass?

Oh and if I'm at it, maybe you could name a few of your favourite lenses. I mostly work with a 65mm in MF, eg. rather wide, but not too wide.

Thanks for your time, I feel like I'll be spending many nights on here

Re: Beginner: Regular or DB lenses?

DB lenses are meant to be used with a Sinar shutter. If you don't have a Sinar shutter, than you don't want DB lenses. Ok. You could use them with something like Packard shutter. DB lenses are less expensive than lenses mounted in a shutter, because the DB lenses are much less versatile. With, say, a copal shutter, you can use it on any view camera where the lens will fit.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Of course I'd additionally have to get a Sinar shutter as well, thanks for the reminder.

And you'd need a Sinar camera to hold the shutter as well (you didn't say what camera you've bought). I'm not just being facetious; the Sinar is an excellent camera system, but their shutter fits only their camera (and perhaps Horseman monorails).

Or you could also get a Shen Hao XPO45 which accept a Sinar shutter albeit with restricted front movements for field work.

It is of course a lot more expansive than a used Sinar F or F2 as you won't find one used which might not fit with your primary concern of cost....
    It might make more sense to stick with less specialized equipment specially at the beginning.

Cheers,

luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Sorry guess I should have mentioned that I have a Sinar F2 (that's what drew my attention to DB lenses at the first place).

So you'd have to buy a Sinar shutter. They run from between $400 and $700, and you have to get the special cable release. It's often missing. Replacing it would be at least $100. Will you save enough on the lenses that you buy to pay for the shutter and cable? Would you want to possibly use the lenses on another camera?

The second thing to consider is that there's a fair amount of vibration with a Sinar Copal shutter. I know, as I have one. You need the special cable release because not only does the cable fire the shutter, it has to move the aperture into it's shooting position. There is definitely more vibration with a Sinar shutter as opposed to a regular shutter. 'B' has the least vibration. None of this was a problem for it's intended use, which predominantly is a studio using strobes. The duration of the strobe stopped motion. For available light use, though, you'd have to be very careful, especially with an F, as opposed to a P.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    So you'd have to buy a Sinar shutter. They run from between $400 and $700, and you have to get the special cable release. It's often missing. Replacing it would be at least $100. Will you save enough on the lenses that you buy to pay for the shutter and cable? Would you want to possibly use the lenses on another camera?

The second thing to consider is that there's a fair amount of vibration with a Sinar Copal shutter. I know, as I have one. You need the special cable release because not only does the cable fire the shutter, it has to move the aperture into it's shooting position. There is definitely more vibration with a Sinar shutter as opposed to a regular shutter. 'B' has the least vibration. None of this was a problem for it's intended use, which predominantly is a studio using strobes. The duration of the strobe stopped motion. For available light use, though, you'd have to be very careful, especially with an F, as opposed to a P.
    Thanks Peter, your post pretty much answers it all. First of all, I'll only planning to purchase 2-3 lenses (to start with), which means that I probably wouldn't safe much if I would go the DB route. I probably won't use them on another camera, but good to know that I COULD use them with other cameras. And finally, I'm mostly working outside, so the plus on vibration would certainly be a big issue and a reason to go with regular lenses while learning the in and outs.

Thanks everyone!

I use the Sinar shutter a lot and love it. Since it is a self-cocking shutter, vibrations may be a little stronger than with standard shutters as Peter mentioned. However, at least on my Sinar P I never experienced any trouble caused by vibrations. I think the real limitation for field use is that the maximum speed is 1/60 of a second.

Since apparently you just start out with LF, it might be best to first get only one standard lens and use it for a while. Once you acquainted yourself with the LF world a bit you'll have a better idea what lenses and equipment you really need. If you buy wisely, you can trade the first lens with hardly any loss.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Well one good reason to purchase a Sinar shutter is if you plan to use barrel lenses.
    You could use a combination of modern lenses on DB board and/or a set of nice barrel lenses with many aperture blades all with the same system.
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II