Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: braintrust: what do we have here???

Re: braintrust: what do we have here???

Quote Originally Posted by Misko View Post
    Dr Tang,
    This was not fully opened apertute on the shot you have posted? I can see the shape of the aperture in the bokeh spots in the background...
    it's an f9 lens and I was prolly at f11 or f16

Hi all , i would like to know if i can use a tele artar 270mm or a tele xenar 250mm , my idea is take portraits close up using the 4x5 ground glass back .
    thanks to all

The American Classic, the TRF Graphic also makes a great Big Shot camera. Here's how.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...h-TRF-Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by prado333 View Post
    Hi all , i would like to know if i can use a tele artar 270mm or a tele xenar 250mm , my idea is take portraits close up using the 4x5 ground glass back .
    thanks to all
    It seems that the camera has been used with a variety of lenses. I found one sold with a 240/9 G-Claron. With that lens the claimed focused distance is five feet. Also sold with 240/6.3 Tele-Congo, focused distance unknown.

If you have the camera, get either lens and try it. The worst outcome will be that the lens focuses closer than you want. In that case, resell the lens.

If you have the lens (either) and don't have the camera, don't gamble. Take Neal's suggestion, focus the camera to the desired distance and lock the focus. Then you'll be set. Or you can focus as you want. Come to think of it, if you have the lens (either) and a 4x5 camera that will focus it close enough, use what you have.

You could fit it with a Tele Arton 270mm or Tele Xenar 250mm, probably. It would require recalibrating the rangefinder (if you installed one) and readjusting the focus distance the camera is expecting. both of those are going to be quite a bit tighter framing than the stock 240mm non-tele lens. So, a face would fill the frame for certain, might be too tight for portraits, depending on what you want.