Thread: Enlarger Lens

Enlarger Lens

Hi,
    My deceased father-in-law built and enlarger to handle 4x5, 645, and 35 mm negatives [B/W].
    The lenses he used are missing and I need to replace them.

Reading the Darkroom Enlarger/Lens section from the archives, I get the feeling the circle of light needed for 4x5 would be best from a 150mm or 135mm lens. Medium format 645 would be best with 135mm or 105mm. Is 35mm best with 80mm or 50mm?

I will need to cover all formats. My largest prints will be 11x14. I have not had a darkroom for 25 years, so I'm very rusty at the lens size needed.

If there is a good info site that anyone knows of please let me know.

Thanks to any and everyone responding. This site has been a great help in learning to use my Toyo 45CF. Now I would like to print B/W to have total control.

Thanks,
    Bob

Enlarger Lens

4x5 is 150mm but most 135mm will cover. If you have a short enlarger then 135mm is better. If you're making small prints then 150mm may be better.

6x4.5 is normally 80mm. A longer lens will work but you'll be limited in the max size print you can use.

35mm is 50mm. Once again a longer lens will work but you'll be limited in max print size.

I'm ignoring wide angle lenses. They cost more and since you're not making real large prints I doubt you'll need them.

The scheinder website provides some info on enlarging lenses. Nikon europe also does now. Other then that here or

www.apug.org

Enlarger Lens

There's good deals to be had on used enlarger lenses. Don't buy a new one! Stick with a clean El-Nikkor or Schneider and you can't go wrong. Be sure it has the retaining ring. eBay always has a nice selection.

Enlarger Lens

You can probably skip buying the 50mm lens and use an 80mm for printing 35mm negatives. It depends on how high your enlarger will go. Note too that 135mm lenses go for much less than 150mm lenses so you might save money there. Buy yourself a lot of paper and get back into the swing of things!

Cheers,