Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New DPL Scanner software from Aztek for their drum scanners

New DPL Scanner software from Aztek for their drum scanners

A new version of drum scanner s/w for the Aztek (Howtek, Premier etc.) scanners has been released by Aztek.

http://www.aztek.com/digital_photolab.html

This is an important update for several reasons. DPL 8.0 is compatible with 32/64 bit Windows 7 and 8 (and I suspect 10. when available). A USB to SCSI converter now works with the system. I commissioned Aztek to build a server station for me so I could move up to the 'modern' 64-bit machines. While doing this work they installed DPL 8 and the USB to SCSI device and verified operation. I have also verified here at the studio on a Premier scanner. An added bonus is the PC and scanner are cabled via two 16' USB extension cables. So the scanner / PC can be 32' (or more) apart. Running a small USB cable beats the larger SCSI cable. The large distance between PC/Drum is for convenience in the particular setup.

The scanner does not have to be powered ON when the PC is powered up. The scanner will be discovered when it's powered up. This is convenient in my particular workflow.

DPL 8.0 removes requirements for certain SCSI library calls as this library was not available on latest versions of Windows. This should allow DPL to move forward with new releases of Windows.

There are numerous changes to DPL 8 to improve it for the user workflow, including the ability to edit a custom CMS. That one is huge! One can check the aforementioned link for further details.

Does the cost of the upgrade seem expensive? Not really as it allows these machines to move forward into the coming decade without having to have an old XP machine locked in a time capsule and maintaining it and hoping it never fails. When amortized over a 10 year life the DPL-8 upgrade price is trivial. It's refreshing to see a company keeping the drum scanners moving forward and I applaud Aztek for making the investment in time and monetarily.

BTW - the server Aztek built is a brilliant piece of work and performs far beyond my expectations.

Regards,

Tim

Re: New DPL Scanner software from Aztek for their drum scanners

Awesome, I've been thinking about upgrading my Howtek with DPL for a long time. I think now is the time!

CB

I agree, I really appreciate Aztek for supporting the old machines on new operating systems. Their service and support is excellent too.

For what it's worth, you can run DPL 7 on Windows 7, as long as it's the 32bit version of Windows 7.
    -Adam

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Are other models of SCSI-USB adapters supported or only the one for sale in Aztek store?

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Are other models of SCSI-USB adapters supported or only the one for sale in Aztek store?
    I am not sure but I would suspect other models would work.
    In the case of this Ratco device, Evan had to do some setup to it to make it work. He took good notes on that.

Best to send an email ask directly.

Regards,
    Tim

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Thanks Tim. I can't find any current USB-SCSI adapters in Ratoc's web site. Maybe is an OEM and at that price (around $700) I think I will be using the SCSI for awhile.
    I visited Aztek's site and I am not sure if I am missing something in the description of the new DLP 8 features but I am unable to see any "must have", at least for amateur users like me.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

BTW, if anybody is interested in selling an old DPL license (older than 7.5) for a 4500 just let me know.

Hi Tim!
    Lucky Bloke, there is one good reason to upgrade, if you already have DPL. If you have a scanner in the Aztek universe, Howtek or Aztek, there is one guy in the world (that I know of) who can fix it: Evan. He answers questions from people all over the world for free, he's helpful, friendly and professional. I understand this is a paid upgrade and it isn't cheap. However, I would like to see these guys stay in business.
    I understand that some of us are not flush (with money) and this is difficult - then don't worry about it. However, others that use the software and hardware that are doing well, can choose to contribute... or this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to Pro, which does have considerable advantage over the Standard version.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Hi Tim!
    Lucky Bloke, there is one good reason to upgrade, if you already have DPL. If you have a scanner in the Aztek universe, Howtek or Aztek, there is one guy in the world (that I know of) who can fix it: Evan. He answers questions from people all over the world for free, he's helpful, friendly and professional. I understand this is a paid upgrade and it isn't cheap. However, I would like to see these guys stay in business.
    I understand that some of us are not flush (with money) and this is difficult - then don't worry about it. However, others that use the software and hardware that are doing well, can choose to contribute... or this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to Pro, which does have considerable advantage over the Standard version.

Lenny
    I hope they stay in business too but why I should buy a Cadillac because GM decided not to sell Chevies anymore and removed all 2014 models from the showroom?

I mentioned to Evan via email the benefits of discussing new features and fixes in a open forum during the planning phase like a year ago. He felt no need for it a that particular time. I even suggested to bring it as part of a workshop.

In my particular case the licensing of DPL is the bottleneck. It's model based, not devices. I would not mind pay for an upgrade that can handle all the models, one scanner at the time, of course, like Trident does.

Unless something changed in the licensing, let's say I am using the D4000 and the D4500. Well, DPL 8 licenses would cost me $2600. Now, compare that to Silverfast, which handles both for $300.

At the end each scanner user should be careful with our recommendations here and check the budget, features, platform, etc. Request and test the demos and decide for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    In my particular case the licensing of DPL is the bottleneck. It's model based, not devices. I would not mind pay for an upgrade that can handle all the models, one scanner at the time, of course, like Trident does.

Unless something changed in the licensing, let's say I am using the D4000 and the D4500. Well, DPL 8 licenses would cost me $2600. Now, compare that to Silverfast, which handles both for $300.
    That's the point. Your case is the odd one out. Most of the rest of us can afford only one scanner, don't want to take it apart like you do, but just need it to work, and work excellently. I can upgrade for $900. I will when I'm ready, or when I get a bunch of scans to do. (I offered a Thanksgiving discount for forum members and, while I got a pile of friendly responses, I didn't get a single scan to do.)

However, update or not, I don't think you can compare Silverfast to DPL Pro. You have the main feature, the ability to make a custom CMS, all kinds of batch processing, with each piece of film at a different resolution if you want, etc. DPL is professional software, even if there are things we could imagine to make it better. I also think its too expensive, but it does work very well, and that's all I care about.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing