Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P2 original price?

Re: Sinar P2 original price?

I was curious about Sinar P and P2 production dates. I found this page:

https://prezi.com/poih-q713vtp/history-of-sinar-camera/

which gives 1970 as the first year for the P and 1984 as the introduction of the P2. This page from "Popular Photography", Jan. 1985:

https://books.google.com/books?id=uD...0dates&f=false

says the "Sinar P2 cameras will begin to be shipped in the Spring of 1985." It also says Sinar intended to keep both the P and P2 in the product line for awhile and let the market decide the future of the P. The P2 was to be priced about 30% higher than the P, but I don't know what Sinar finally decided about continuing the P.

I occasionally have the urge to buy a 4X5 P just to see what it is like playing with all those strange controls. But my real dream Sinar is an 8X10 conversion for my 4X5 Norma. I don't really need that any more than I need a 4X5 P since I have a couple of wooden 8X10s if I ever feel the need to shoot 8X10. But an 8X10 Norma is still a nice dream.

Len

I bought a sinar P2 and expolux shutter second hand in about 1991, it cost about £6,000 and was a bargain, the quality and accuracy of the Expolux shutters through the lens meter saved me so much money on film that it paid for itself in the first year, it ,like so much other 10x8 gear went into the camera case within days of the phaseone p45 appearing.
    But after finding some old 10x8 trannies last week it's out of the box and I will start to rediscover the absolute joy of using the p2 in the studio.

The last retail price for a P2 8x10 was $14,000 USD in a 2005 Sinar catalog.

saverio,

I have no idea what the original price was but I bought an 8x10 Sinar P a few years ago. It proved more camera than I expected and I do not do studio work so it has set in a closet a few years. If you are interested in buying it I would gladly discuss it off line or if you prefer here.

Hi Bruce,

Do you have a son named Damon?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    Hi Bruce,

Do you have a son named Damon?

Jonathan
    I sure do. How do you know him?

Thank you all for the valuable information, much appreciated. And Rudi, long time, I will call when next in SF, perhaps coffee or dinner? Bruce, PM your email or phone, I'm in the city as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    On the P 8x10 you have to flip a switch on front and rear for tilt and swing control. One knob to adjust, one switch to select the control. Not as intuitive (for me) as using the P2 8x10 where there's a know to adjust tilt and swing. No remembering which position from the switch controls what. I know this is minor and part of the workflow

My P2 came with a significantly larger 8x10 frame compared to my P (latter frame has even no bail and all was original in a "time capsule" case. Owner had used the camera once, accessories still packed, envelopes unopened.)

My P2 came with a graduated ground glass, P has a plain ground glass.

As others have stated: minor differences.

I also have a P 4x5 and that one works same as the P 8x10 regarding controls but the back has a bail.
    Thank you for answering, Rudi.

By the way, I checked out your website and you do really nice work!

We went to grammar school together in the '70s (PS-29) along with Chris Albee. I also lived on Carroll Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I sure do. How do you know him?

Last edited by VictoriaPerelet; 20-Apr-2015 at 23:04.