Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What file size should I expect from B&W 5X7 negative

Re: What file size should I expect from B&W 5X7 negative

Bob,

Well, that must be what I have then.... "enhanced" scans for viewing purposes. I paid $5 per scan for their service.

What should I expect cost wise for a scan that I can use to print up to 30X20?

What are some recommended labs that can do this work?

Thanks!

Yes I think that is what you have.

Lenny can do super high rez scans for you on his Premier scanner - about as good as you can get
    You also can get scans from many vendors...locally to you in Texas and California..
    I make great scans but you have to send internationally and IMO there should be someone within driving distance of you that would do a good job.

Price varies as well as dedication of the scanner operator.. if the operator is negligent no matter what scanner you will get crap.

Also when doing high rez , you can save yourself some money if the operator supplies you with the raw good scan and you do the clean up.

regards
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rrunnertexas View Post
    Bob,

Well, that must be what I have then.... "enhanced" scans for viewing purposes. I paid $5 per scan for their service.

What should I expect cost wise for a scan that I can use to print up to 30X20?

What are some recommended labs that can do this work?

Thanks!

I shot 4 images with my 5X7 Korona View camera on Ilford B&W film, then sent them off for developing and "enhanced" scanning.
    From my general experience, lab scanning is a huge scam. You pay a lot for generally very small file sizes. For large format, it's even worse.

If you want to print 30x20 at 300 dpi, you need a file that is at least 6000 x 9000 pixels, or 54 megapixels (20x300=6000, 30x300=9000, 6000x9000=54,000,000).

To get a 54 megapixel file out of a 5x7 you need to scan using at least 1200 dpi, which would get you a 6000 x 8400 pixel file. (5x1200=6000, 7x1200=8400)

A flatbed scanner like any of the popular high-end Epsons (4990, v700, v750 etc) has a stated max resolution of 6400dpi, but in practice the actual maximum it can resolve is about 2000 dpi, plus or minus a few hundred depending on how you've got it set up and calibrated. For 5x7 you can print really big with a 2000 dpi scan - up to 33x47 inches and still maintain 300dpi on the print.

If you want those kind of scans from a lab, plan on paying $15-20 per sheet. That adds up fast - after a dozen or so scans, you could have just bought a used Epson. Learning to scan your negatives takes a bit of time, but if you get a decent Epson and the software that comes with it, it's really not bad. There are plenty of tutorials online too.
    -Adam

If you're shooting 5x7 on a regular basis (and not using simpler cheaper methods), you're probably keenly interested in overall image quality. If you want to capture tonality as well as resolution, the person who does your scanning should be competent. A competent scanning service is not cheap.

You may find it more economical to purchase a scanner and make the scans yourself. That is the best way to ensure that you get your "money's worth" out of your LF effort.

Having someone else do your scanning - particularly on a budget - is a bit like considering yourself a chef while having someone do the cooking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Yes I think that is what you have.

Lenny can do super high rez scans for you on his Premier scanner - about as good as you can get
    You also can get scans from many vendors...locally to you in Texas and California..
    I make great scans but you have to send internationally and IMO there should be someone within driving distance of you that would do a good job.

Price varies as well as dedication of the scanner operator.. if the operator is negligent no matter what scanner you will get crap.

Also when doing high rez , you can save yourself some money if the operator supplies you with the raw good scan and you do the clean up.

regards
    Bob
    I also recommend Lenny Eiger for high resolution scanning. He scans my 5x7 film at 4000 dpi which yields roughly a 3gb file (approx 27,000 x 19,000 px).

I offer drum scanning and also shoot 5x7 film myself, and of course, drum scan it. The scans you are describing sound somewhat generic and for general consumers, I'm not familiar with what kinds of hardware labs use for services like this, but terms like "enhanced" don't help much.
    I won't try to sell my services here or tell you how another vendor "should" do it.. I'l only say your files should have been larger (for prints you want) and more information should have been available readily.. also given what goes into it, I can't possibly compete with those prices, so they are giving you something fast and automated. I'm afraid this step of the process will require more commitment in terms of cost and/or learning. Things are always more complicated than the appear!

I'm afraid this step of the process will require more commitment in terms of cost and/or learning. Things are always more complicated than the appear!
    Yes, I can see that it sure can cost a bit. I was looking at the Epson V700 and V750 scanners and see they are expensive new and still expensive used! That is why I was seeking to have my negatives scanned by someone else.

As far as I can see, it appears that the Epson flatbed scanners are about the best option for $700 or so.

Yes, I can see that it sure can cost a bit. I was looking at the Epson V700 and V750 scanners and see they are expensive new and still expensive used! That is why I was seeking to have my negatives scanned by someone else.

As far as I can see, it appears that the Epson flatbed scanners are about the best option for $700 or so.
    With a bit of looking around, used Epson V700/V750 scanners are being sold on Craigslist or on this forum for around $400. Epson is selling a factory refurbished V750-M scanner for $600 too...

By the way, there is no Epson film holder for 5x7, but you can either scan it right on the glass or make a simple film holder (like out of two mat boards) and get very fine scans from 5x7 negs.

On a budget, I'd look for an Epson 4990, which was the predecessor to the V700/750 models. The 4900 "PRO" model was the same scanner but also included color calibration targets and calibration software. It will resolve up to about 2000dpi plus or minus, so it's a solid choice for large format scanning. There are a couple for sale on Amazon, used, for $140, whereas a used V700 will set you back $500.

As with any used scanner, make sure you get the software, cables, manuals and all the rest, but especially the software.
    -Adam

I've made some measurements of the Epson V750 scanner and found that the equivalent pixel size is about 25 to 30 µm at something like 100% contrast. That is about 1000 pixels per inch so for a 5 X 7 you can expect a scanned image of about 5000 X 7000 pixels. For a critically sharp print you may want about a 100µm pixel size which equates to a 4X enlargement or a 20 X 28 inch print. Working with a 1 mil pixel using an Epson V750 and a 100% contrast also gives you a lot of grey scale separation to work with when using photoshop.

Assuming a smaller pixel size (or higher DPI) from that machine means that you will be losing some of the original information on the negative, and how much you lose depends of the efficiency of the scanning software; a mystery held by Epson.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.