Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does "Let the Muses guide you" mean, and why is it relevant to LF?

Re: What does "Let the Muses guide you" mean, and why is it relevant to LF?

muse = drinking pal

that's when I come up with my best/worst ideas

Abuser of God's Sunlight

They have names, people. It's rude talking about them like they're not here.

1. Clio: The Muse Clio discovered history and guitar. History was named Clio in the ancient years, because it refers to “kleos” the Greek word for the heroic acts. Clio was always represented with a clarion in the right arm and a book in the left hand.

2. Euterpe: Muse Euterpe discovered several musical instruments, courses and dialectic. She was always depicted holding a flute, while many instruments were always around her.

3. Thalia: Muse Thalia was the protector of comedy; she discovered comedy, geometry, architectural science and agriculture. She was also protector of Symposiums. She was always depicted holding a theatrical – comedy mask.

4. Melpomene: Opposite from Thalia, Muse Melpomene was the protector of Tragedy; she invented tragedy, rhetoric speech and Melos. She was depicted holding a tragedy mask and usually bearing a bat.

5. Terpsichore: Terpsichore was the protector of dance; she invented dances, the harp and education. She was called Terpsichore because she was enjoying and having fun with dancing ( “Terpo” in Greek refers to be amused). She was depicted wearing laurels on her head, holding a harp and dancing.

6. Erato: Muse Erato was the protector of Love and Love Poetry – as well as wedding. Her name comes from the Greek word “Eros” that refers to the feeling of falling in love. She was depicted holding a lyre and love arrows and bows.

7. Polymnia: Muse Polymnia was the protector of the divine hymns and mimic art; she invented geometry and grammar. She was depicted looking up to the Sky, holding a lyre.

8. Ourania: Muse Ourania was the protector of the celestial objects and stars; she invented astronomy. She was always depicted bearing stars, a celestial sphere and a bow compass.

9. Calliope: Muse Calliope was the superior Muse. She was accompanying kings and princes in order to impose justice and serenity. She was the protector of heroic poems and rhetoric art. According to the myth, Homer asks from Calliope to inspire him while writing Iliad and Odyssey, and, thus, Calliope is depicted holding laurels in one hand and the two Homeric poems in the other hand.

I believe that in some neoclassic traditions Polymnia is depicted with a shaggy beard, carrying a wood tripod.

Are we moving into religious territory?

Perhaps I will read this book. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/bo...o19108877.html
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Are we moving into religious territory?
    I pray to Mnemosyne (Memory) when I forget my reciprocity tables.

Sometimes I sacrifice a sheet of film to appease her.

As everyone knows, she and Zeus were the parents of the nine Muses – I figure she'll remind her daughters to guide me!

2 Bit Hack

Obviously, one cannot survive on a single muse!
    Regards

Marty

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Doremus, That was a wonderful explanation!
    +1 and paulr

David

Downstairs

Thanks Paulr!

And because we're getting way too serious about this, I thought that "following one's mews" had something to do with my following the cats around the house...

Drew Wiley

I thought that if anyone hears muses, they either went on medication or into an institution capable of handling that kind of problem.

Melpomene for me :-)

'Follow your muse' can be as vapid as 'fulfill your vision', or as deep as a zen koan read in a soft rain on a remote Chinese mountain.

I have been lucky enough to have had a couple of photographic epiphanies brought on by being attentive to the small voice yelling at the back of my skull that I should take a photograph of this meaningless scene in front of me. That, for me, is what following your muse is really about - being mindful of your own sense of creativity.