Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marshall's Spot-All for Color

Drew Wiley

Re: Marshall's Spot-All for Color

Yep

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Curiously Marshall's kit now contains only 5 bottles instead of the six which it has room for: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...All_Kit_5.html. The sixth slot in my kit contains Sepia. I bought mine from a local source and paid $25 for it.

I'm going with the Berg kit for color - the idea being to match the surrounding color as closely as possible. Last night I spotted a B&W RC print that had been toned in Nelson's gold toner. The spot was in a dark spot on the print and completely disappeared upon application. If it were instead in the toned sky, it would have proved more challenging.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I finally got around to setting up a permanent luxury spotting station. It has a nice padded black leather office chair, a big tilted black board with an adjustable articulating arm lamp overhead containing expensive German CRI color matching 98 tubes. Then all my little dye wells and bottles on board. I found I had to supplement the basic Marshall set with a couple other dye hues which I bought on the side. But I have all kinds of specialty supplies on hand too. The quality of
    spotting brushes is important. Go to a good art store for those, not the camera shop. But when I inspect prints afterwards, it is always under multiple light sources
    simulating different display conditions.

John Olsen

I bought a 14 color set from Retouch Methods for use with RA4 color prints. The company was located in Chatham, NJ, but I don't know if they're still there. A few years ago I had some large color giclees printed on Ilford glossy paper by a local lab. They had trouble with some flecks not adhering to the paper and gave up. Luckily, I found that my 20 year-old bottles of "Retouching Color" still gave me excellent retouching, which saved the day for me. It was fun, easy and made me feel halfway competent even.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Curiously Marshall's kit now contains only 5 bottles instead of the six which it has room for: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...All_Kit_5.html. The sixth slot in my kit contains Sepia. I bought mine from a local source and paid $25 for it.

I'm going with the Berg kit for color - the idea being to match the surrounding color as closely as possible. Last night I spotted a B&W RC print that had been toned in Nelson's gold toner. The spot was in a dark spot on the print and completely disappeared upon application. If it were instead in the toned sky, it would have proved more challenging.

Thomas
    Wait sepia-brown is included, is that different than "Sepia"?

Traditional Retoucher & Spotte

I'm a traditional retoucher & spotter for B&W and Color film and prints (over 23 years). I've used many different dyes. In 2017 I'm using Marshall's and yes they bought Spotone.

I used to use a set of Kodak dyes. Are those still around?