Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

John H.

Thanks. I have spoken with the guy at Photomark in Phoenix. He's sending my something. I'll check out the Precision site in the meantime.

Glen Kroeger

Did you get my e-mails regarding the matter you proposed to me?

John H.

Boy that IS a good link. I found this link there: http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/arca_swiss.html

This is the best I've found yet for Arca Swiss info. I'm surprised I didn't find this with google and this board. I did a few days of searching before asking any questions here.

Since you stated that you believe that the Fuji 680 is too big and heavy, how are you going to feel about using a bulkier and heavier monorail camera, along with a rollfilm back, for the type of scenics that you enjoy doing?

Actually, the 6x9 ARCA-SWISS F-Line Compact is lighter and folds up more compactly than the Fuji GX680III. And the lenses for a 6x9 monorail are smaller, lighter (by a substantial amount) and less expensive than the equivalent Fuji 680 lenses. The GX680 has it's advantages (primarily automation), but in terms of size and weight, it's a beast.

Fuji GX680III Body = 94.9 oz.
    50mm Lens = 44.1 oz.
    100m Lens = 32.1 oz.
    150mm lens = 24.9 oz.

Total for body and three lenses = 196 oz. = 12 lb. 4 oz.

ARCA-SWISS 6x9 F-Line Compact = 80 oz.
    47mm Super Angulon XL = 10.9 oz. + 2 oz. for lensboard
    100mm APO Sironar-S = 6.7 oz. + 2 oz. for lensboard
    150mm APO-Sironar-S = 8.8 oz. + 2 oz. for lensboard

Total for body and three lenese = 112.4 oz. = 7 lb. 0.4 oz.

So, for the camera and three lenses, the ARCA-SWISS system is over 5 lb. lighter. I didn't include other acessories like roll film backs, prism finders, etc. as I don't have weights for all these items. In many case, these items are heavier for the Fuji (things like batteries and a charger to run all those electronics are VERY heavy).

I'm not rying to say one system is "better" than the other, just pointing out that a "large format" monorail system, in this case, is smaller and lighter than the medium format SLR.

Of course, the SLR offers automation and greater ease of use, but the monorail can handle wider (down to 35mm - the Fuji is limited to 50mm) and longer lenses. With the ARCA-SWISS, you can also chose from a huge variety of lenses from all four current manufacturers. With an adapter, you can use standard large format lenses on the Fuji, but you lose most of the automation that makes the Fuji attractive in the first place. The Fuji is great in the studio, but there is a reason you don't see many people shooting with them in the field.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry,

I knew this but didn't feel like 'proving' it to Eugene. You are so detail oriented. I'm lazy.

There is another great reason to eschew the Fuji. Folks selling them are not willing to price them realisticly. They often go without bids on ebay. Even IF one were able to get a decent price on a system now you'd never get even half of it back if you wanted to sell it in a year or two. With AS I think the resale will be solid. Not that there is a LF shooter born every hour but there is a huge number of dedicated LFers many of whom will ever dream of moving up to the top of the line when they can or when good used systems come on the market ... as they will I believe. Ask Glen?

the link to the Arca Catalogue at Precision Camera Works is here

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Media/Syst.pdf

this is the same as the print version the Arca US distributor sent me
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hi Scott

Nice to have you back and alive.
    The Arca Swiss started in Switzerland many years ago and they still have an office in Horgen Switzerland. The production is now in France because of cheaper workers there and all this kind of staff.
    It could also be a little reason because of the EU but it was for sure not the main point! But the leader is still Swiss and maybe also some others!
    They can now produce cheaper but the cameras are still very expensive so they have more in there own poket and the company should be doing well.

Hi Armin,

Thanks. I don't know if I'm 'back' or not but then again I didn't realize actually that I had left. Time sort of just rolls along unnoticed by me. I think I got into the habit of hanging with the digital disciples for some reason. You know, those guys who just can't bear the idea of loading a roll of film for some reason. It's beyond me why they are so phobic. Maybe we all will get there one day but to my mind if you are truly dedicated to producing fine art photography I just can't see how you can totally abandon film at this time. I think most of the DDs are more into producing web pages actually and or reaping the benefits. This of course has nothing to do with the high volume pros of most ilk. They pretty much have to go all dig all the time to stay ahead of the curve.

Octogenarian

Scott,

I'm only attempting to prevent you from making the same mistake you made when you purchased the Toyo45AII outfit. No matter what Kerry says, I still don't believe that any monorail, with a roll film back, is the right tool for the job. Judging from the type of scenics that you seem to enjoy photographing, I say, stick with a medium format camera and roll film.

My wager is still on. Let me know how you are doing after using your monorail camera, outdoors, for six months. Somehow I'm kind of hoping that I loose this bet and look forward to wineing and dining you at a restaurant of your choice.

No matter what Kerry says, I still don't believe that any monorail, with a roll film back, is the right tool for the job.

Eugene,

I never said the monorail was the "right tool for the job". Just pointing out, that in this case, it is smaller and lighter than the Fuji medium format SLR. In fact, here's my exact quote:

"I'm not rying to say one system is "better" than the other, just pointing out that a "large format" monorail system, in this case, is smaller and lighter than the medium format SLR."

Judging from the type of scenics that you seem to enjoy photographing, I say, stick with a medium format camera and roll film.

Is that directed specifically at Scott, or landscape shooters in general? I checked out the images on Scott's web site and didn't see anything that could not easily be shot on large format. In fact, it looks like classic LF landscape subject matter to me. Yeah, it might be easier to shoot it on medium format (or 35mm or digital), but with a little practice and planning (be there 20 minutes early), I don't see any images on Scott's web site that couldn't have been taken on 4x5 (or 5x7 or 8x10). Why do you think a medium format SLR would be a better tool for these types of images? I'm not trying to be argmentative, just genuinely curious. I've been shooting similar landscapes on 4x5 for many, many years - including several years using monorails (Technikardan TK45S, ARCA-SWISS F-Line Classic and Toho FC-45X). I did try a medium format SLR (Bronica GS-1), but peferred the upside down world of the ground glass to looking through a tiny window. I'm not saying one way is better than the other - different strokes for different folks. I'm just trying to understand why you feel the medium format SLR is a better tool for the job than a monorail with a roll film back.

Kerry