Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

I dated several 8X10's and finally narrowed to 2 and then 1. Not a polygamist, but the Deardorff hung around for several years until I ultimately decided it too had to go.

The old gal I decided on is pretty frugal and plain. She doesn't turn heads when we enter the room. Kodak 2D.

The reasons the ubiquitous 2D was the camera best suited to my style are; It has a strong front standard that can hold up ridiculously heavy antique lenses. Things like a 16" Pinkham & Smith, or a Dallmeyer 3A. There's plentious room inside for a large Packard shutter to live behind the giant lenses. A 6 1/2" Packard stays trapped behind the front standard, ready. And last but not least, I'm a lens fanatic. So something like the metal Kodak would limit me to only the number of lenses I had expensive boards for. I have hundreds of lenses. Silly me. The 2D boards are large enough, 6X6" for the big lenses, and you can bang them out of plywood in minutes. Then, there's the weight consideration. The old 2D only weighs 8 1/2 pounds. Pretty light for the torture I put it through.

Mine is looking like a worn out pair of shoes these days. Old and comfy.

Favourite 8x10? My Shen Hao FCL810-A. Why? I have never had any other so know nothing better or worse.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    And last but not least, I'm a lens fanatic.
    No!... You?... Really???

While I don't own one, I'd have to say my favorite 8x10 field camera would be a KB Canham Wood Field (light or standard). Keith still makes them new, parts are available, and as a camera store worker, I can say his customer service is great! Older cameras may come at a better price, but parts and service may be hard to come by. And like others have mentioned about the Canham cameras, they have great movements, lots of bellows draw, and making adjustments is quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kayne View Post
    I am considering buying a used 8 x 10 field camera... Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks. Joe.
    I sold my Deardorff and got the KMV), fine focus from the rear, easily handles short lenses, fine adjustment for front rise/fall

I have only seen and handled a Deardorf once in my life (in Europe they are not that common).... But I must say I was VERY pleased I own my Gandolfi - would never shift.

However as light as the Gandolfi 5x7 is, as heavy the 10x8 is.... (But it is very sturdy, and can easily handle all Jims lenses....)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Nah, he is just asking the madam to trot out the gals so he knows who to try...
    If the gals he's in the market for are 8x10, he must be--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk
    8x10 got all the right junk in all the right places!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wow. This thread could go on forever. As I, apparently, am helping it to do now.

It might be interesting to data harvesters that some replies here about favorites are from people who have never used the camera they would recommend. I call it the Ken Rockwell effect.

Not a Sinar 8x10 P2.... I remember trying to shoot in the field with 3 giant cases of gear (lenses, accessories, camera, film holders, ect). You guys ever seen the size of the Sinar expert case? Ahh silly me.

Sinars are great for the studio use (only), IMO.