Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

I have a close personal relationship with my Canham 8x10 woodie. Long bellows, movements to die for and on the ligher side to carry. BUT....

When pressed into service at regular intervals unfortunately I find a willingness I did not understand for increased camera weight that comes along with an exponential decrease in time it takes to set up my tan Toyo 810M. I figure with a quick release plate for my Manfrotto 3059 tripod head once I have the tripod secured, I can be up and ready to focus on the GG in under 30 seconds. On the Toyo both standards go to square and can be locked down in no time and I can be focused and be ready to insert a film holder quick as quickly as I could hope for. Where this really comes into play is in the fact that most of the time in challenging terrain I need a free tripod setting up for the next image so being able to fold down the Toyo as quickly as it was set up to get the legs independently secured before putting the camera on top is a Godsend for me. There is no way I can do that with the Canham 810. Folding the Canham down takes at least three or four times the time and effort simply because there are that many more knobs, levers and controls to deal with. Don't get me wrong. When I need longer lenses, light pack weight or the use of a rear shift, I accept the extra time and effort of the Canham particularly if I am in easy terrain and I can carry the camera on the tripod head to the next shot. The Toyo 810M is like an addiction to me in the ease it is ready to make a photograph, I am willing to deal with the increased weight any day of the week. I am limited out at a 600mm lens on the Toyo, but so far in the last six months of making photographs, that has not been an issue. Going to Montana and Canada in August the Canham will earn top billing because of the distances that will be hiked and as a result I will gladly deal with the increased set up time. Life is full of compromises and each time we go to the field I am appreciative of the options I have to consider. My first LF camera was an 8x10 Kodak Master and the Toyo is identical to the Kodak Master engineered to the next level and with parts and service to call upon when needed.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 6-Jul-2017 at 09:06. Reason: typo

Cass

I'm curious. I'm also looking at buying a new or used 8x10 but one of the things I'm most interested in is the camera's ability for rear forward and backward tilt. This seems to limit my choices. Rear swing is also important to me as these options give me more choices when it comes to creative composition. That being said, I would like to be able to buy an Ebony but I think its going to be almost impossible to find one. What other cameras have these rear movements ?

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    B&H lists 8 different B&W films from ISO=100-400, including HP4, FP5, and Tri-X. Why would anyone want anything else?
    (For color,with CIBA and Dye Transfer materials no longer on the market, digital is the only way to go.)
    Actually there is a company in California that prints Cibachrome. I'm guessing they got the formula and make their own.

http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by CassJohnson View Post
    I'm curious. I'm also looking at buying a new or used 8x10 but one of the things I'm most interested in is the camera's ability for rear forward and backward tilt. This seems to limit my choices. Rear swing is also important to me as these options give me more choices when it comes to creative composition. That being said, I would like to be able to buy an Ebony but I think its going to be almost impossible to find one. What other cameras have these rear movements ?
    Rear forward and backward movement is fairly standard with 8x10 field cameras because the forward movement is necessary to close the camera. Rear movement just means adding some length to the side support bars. I have never seen one without this feature so I do not sure what you are saying about limited choices?

The effect of a swing from my experience is indifferent as to whether it is deployed in the rear or front standard. Swings on the front standard are more intuitive since you go with the scene and move the front standard in the same direction. I have an Deardorff 11x14 that has a fixed front standard and while the rear swing is reversed, it works fine. You will find a wide range of options for a camera. Get the best you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by CassJohnson View Post
    ... What other cameras have these rear movements ?
    The Chamonix 8x10 has those rear movements (no shift). Well made, well thought out camera. 10 pounds. My Zone VI has them also at about 14 pounds. Neither have rear rise/fall.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The Chamonix 8x10 has those rear movements (no shift). Well made, well thought out camera. 10 pounds. My Zone VI has them also at about 14 pounds. Neither have rear rise/fall.
    Rear rear rise/fall in an 8x10 field camera is extremely rare. The request for cameras with these rear movements in the above text as I read this post is only rear forward and backward tilt.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 15-Jul-2017 at 19:55. Reason: typo

Cass was interested in swing, also. Which can be nice to have.

Shen-Hao has an 8x10 with rear tilt, swing and rise. It is more of the Deardorf-style at a little over 13 lbs. Not too bad. They have another style (like the Chamonix) w/o rear rise at about 10 pounds. Movements cost in increased weight.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China