Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Industrial Images (Large Format)

Re: Industrial Images (Large Format)

Nice shots FishyFishArcade.
    Are you happy with your Fujinon 135mm when shooting landscape or buildings ? I'm looking for a wide angle and seeking advices ...

I too am glad that this thread has been revived--I really enjoy industrial images, both to view and to take. It is timely, too, as I just posted to my site a selection of photos from my HABS documentation of the historic L Street Power Station in South Boston, MA, a conglomeration of four power generation facilities built between 1898 and the 1960s. Herewith a couple of samples, from the generator room of the 1898 powerhouse. Both on the Horseman L45 camera and Tmax 400, the first from the generator room floor with a Fujinon 90mm and the second from a balcony above with a Fujinon 150mm.

Bruce

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39 L Street Power Staiton 2021-3-16-11 Generator room generator looking NE.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	247206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 L Street Power Staiton 2021-3-16-65 Generator room generator looking SE from above.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	247207

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    I too am glad that this thread has been revived--I really enjoy industrial images, both to view and to take. It is timely, too, as I just posted to my site a selection of photos from my HABS documentation of the historic L Street Power Station in South Boston, MA, a conglomeration of four power generation facilities built between 1898 and the 1960s. Herewith a couple of samples, from the generator room of the 1898 powerhouse. Both on the Horseman L45 camera and Tmax 400, the first from the generator room floor with a Fujinon 90mm and the second from a balcony above with a Fujinon 150mm.

Bruce

Name:	39 L Street Power Staiton 2021-3-16-11 Generator room generator looking NE.jpg 

Name:	38 L Street Power Staiton 2021-3-16-65 Generator room generator looking SE from above.jpg 
    These are lovely
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisR View Post
    Nice shots FishyFishArcade.
    Are you happy with your Fujinon 135mm when shooting landscape or buildings ? I'm looking for a wide angle and seeking advices ...
    Thanks Francis.

Yes, I'm happy with the lens. I got it with my first LF camera, so didn't have much choice in the matter, but the images seem sharp (to my eye) and the lens is nice and compact - especially in comparison with the 90mm and 210mm f/5.6 lenses I have access to at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    These are lovely
    Martin
    Thank you, Martin! it is a remarkable space, but my gosh, it was cold in there when I did these photos!

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFishArcade View Post
    Thanks Francis.

Yes, I'm happy with the lens. I got it with my first LF camera, so didn't have much choice in the matter, but the images seem sharp (to my eye) and the lens is nice and compact - especially in comparison with the 90mm and 210mm f/5.6 lenses I have access to at present.
    Thanks. It's very tempting, especially considering that it is a quite affordable lens.

Quote Originally Posted by guyatou View Post
    Industrial processes and facilities have always fascinated me. I just started a project making 4x5 images at local factories, and my first day of shooting was this week. (I'm trying to get access to a water treatment plant and a gas-fired electric plant, among other sites.)

Has anybody else shot industrial sites (interior or exterior) as either a commercial job, or from a fine art perspective? I've seen some great exterior night shots on here, but not many daytime or interior shots at all!

I'll post a few of mine from this week to get started. Let's see what you've got!
    I did a lot of industrial work for clients over fifty years. I worked for the department of energy for a couple of years in really interesting projects but unfortunately a lot were classified and couldn’t take the negs even if they weren’t classified.

I have a lot of images that are smaller format or digital and may start a small format thread in that section. It would be a nice complement to this one.

Nice shots here.

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post

Bruce

NICE!!!
    I worked as an assitant one time and we went to New Jersey to photograph on of them fancy 30 yard long printing presses (back in the 80's). They couldn't stop the run but we had a hard time getting the right exposure cause the floor constantly vibrated from the machinery. Was this thing "OFF" or "ON"?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    NICE!!!
    I worked as an assitant one time and we went to New Jersey to photograph on of them fancy 30 yard long printing presses (back in the 80's). They couldn't stop the run but we had a hard time getting the right exposure cause the floor constantly vibrated from the machinery. Was this thing "OFF" or "ON"?
    Thanks, Eric! Very kind you to say. Alas, this generator, built and installed 1898, has been "off" for a very long time indeed. I was there to document the plant prior to its removal.

That being said, I have done a fair bit of work at hydroelectric powerhouses. When the units are generating, vibration definitely is a concern!

Bruce

Retired engineer here - I was involved in planning and design for facilities like this for most of my professional career. So I have an affection for the subject.

Two of my favorite books are Structure by Tillman Crane, and an Edition Stimmle monograph titled Industrial Interiors by Ferit Kuyas. Both feature very carefully crafted images of industrial facilities. It's a great subject to photograph. Tillman was more interested in the form of industrial devices - shapes, shadows and textures. And while the book is wonderful, the original prints (all Pt/Pd) are breathtaking. Kuyas was more interested in industrial spaces - power plants, breweries, grain mills, etc (all in Europe) - and he appears to have devoted a great deal of time to cleaning the spaces he photographed - not a bit of clutter anywhere.