Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree

I would like to ask the forum for comments on the Proposed Joshua Tree get together later this month. My e-mails to volquartz have gone unanswered thus far.
    Is it more about taking pictures, sharing stories and info, or both? Is it a good experience both photographically and socially? Recommended for newcomers? Any other deatails about it would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Joshua Tree

I'm not able to say about the Joshua Tree trip since I'm not going ... but I just went to the Zion Park Utah trip in Nov. and I thought it was worth it. Yes we did take a lot of pictures, had a few group outings, ate pizza, had a couple on site demonstrations, drank poor coffee, met on location, looked at prints, took more pictures, carried the 8x10's further from the car than we should, met in the rooms, welcomed the newcomers, admired the ebony cameras, went to a gallery, processed the film in weird chemical concoctions, met in the bar, had a demo of a new field camera, made fun of Per, froze at nights, woke up to poor coffee, had 8 minute showers at the camp grounds, loaded holders in the wash room and all in all learned about LF and photography in general. I've heard from others that they might have had a drink or two together as well, but thats just a rumor, and there's no photo evidence.
    Hope this helps.
    -Rob

Joshua Tree

I attended one of Per's first workshops 2 or 3 years ago. It was in Red Rock Canyon State Park in California. Per is a great guy and is very knowledgeable about LF. Unfortunately, I didn't really fit in to the crowd, because I'm strictly a color shooter, and Per's workshop had a heavy B&W bias. If you are a B&W shooter, I heartily recommend going. If color is your chosen medium, you might be disappointed. Regarding Per not responding to your emails, the same thing happened to me. Turns out that his ISP was putting a lot of his incoming emails in the spam box. He later discovered this and responded to my emails. I suspect that this may be what is happening to your emails. He is a very friendly fellow and I'm sure he would respond to you if he saw your emails.

Joshua Tree

The Joshua Tree outing is a less formal gathering than the week long workshops. Previously there have been a broad expanse of participant experiences from... no LF camera...just got it, but have not unpacked it...to graybeards.

Last year we broke the group up, as needed, based on experience and desired learning. We had one group that covered the very basics, (setup, focus, rudimentary movements), for the "no LF/just unpacked group". Per has shared his experience and knowledge about visualization, composure, manipulating natural light, pre-exposure flashing, etc.

JT is a wonderfully unique natural environment. You will enjoy shooting, learning, sharing, BS'ing, eating a great communial meal and just generally "A Good Time to be had by All!"

If you can make it, it will time well invested.

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

Joshua Tree

Ok, I will not tolerate any more slams on my coffee!!
    It's an acquired taste....you lived didn't you?

Ah hell, I am going straight home to throw out the damn percolator...
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Joshua Tree

Matthew - from the . . . uh, "comments", it sounds like you might get by with just tossing the stem and the strainer basket. Just put the coffee directly in the bottom of the pot, one fistfull per cup of water, and boil away. Those who want it strained can always keep their teeth closed. ;-)

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Joshua Tree

I've had better tasting mud... of course it was just ground that morning.

Joshua Tree

That's what I should have done Ralph! The ingrates....

('Course some cannucks drink tea and apparently mud, so wouldn't know what finely "ground" coffee tastes like

I am so under appreciated. (sniff)

It also makes a fine 4x5 developing tank when I use the special insert instead of the strainer...pyro-perco
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Joshua Tree

Johh Z, sorry to get away from your post a bit. For what it's worth, I was (and still am) an LF newbie and the Zion workshop was the first time I exposed film in my 4x5 which I had just finished restoring the week before.

I have to say that for me it was great. Anytime you can hang with others that share the love of this medium and they are willing to share what they know, help you out, is a good opportunity. Friendships are made, stories told, and you learn.

Joshua Tree is a wonderful place, mystical, spiritual and quite beautiful. And I don't lean towards the "grand" landscape
    shots but I am going.

So in essence I was a newbie, found plenty to shoot, asked a lot of questions, received informative answers and had help in the field when I needed it. I also think it matters not at all whether you shoot color or B&W.

I also make the best damn coffee this side of the Canadian border no matter what you read.
    Regards.
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Joshua Tree

Matthew- try a 5-minute pre-wet of the coffee, percolate for N+2, and agitate every 30 seconds...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."