Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best first color filter for B&W work?

Re: What is the best first color filter for B&W work?

I don't worry about cheap filters, a flaw will not show in images, heck you can shoot through a chain link fence if its that close to the lens.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

$ince $$ are important so I'd look for used filters. Most big camera stores have a box behind the counter and there are always camera swap meets to check out.
    For the subjects that interest you, what is it that you need a filter for?
    A preserve a dramatic sky? Or To make light colored buildings pop? Try Orange (I have a #16)
    To lighten foliage around buildings ? A Yellow-Green (I use a #11)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have gone very light in my filter use. It seems to me a light yellow on TMax films did the same with skies as a darker yellow on conventional films. But then again I like light skies, if I have them. My biggest use of filters is a yellow filter in the Fall under the redwoods -- it really pops the yellow maple leaves, and later the yellow berry and buckthorn leaves!

In architectural images, a filter could be used to seperate the tones of two equally bright areas of different colors (or bring them together, if needed). But that could be one of many color filters.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have only ever used Wratten gel filters. #8, 11, 12, 15, 25, 29, 57, 87C. I tend to use the #12 a lot and it is getting pretty ratty looking. I've had it for over 20 years.

I have a bunch of filters but the ones I use most are the yellow ('K2') and the #23 deep red.

When taking photos in the bright sunlight, clouds which are apparent to the eye disappear to the film. The yellow darkens up the blue of the sky so that the clouds are more apparent. The red has much the same effect but X8.

Older photo books usually have a page which shows the effects of different filters in different situations. Most public libraries still have a few books of black and white photography from the old days...

It is nice to have the correct size filters for each lens but if you get them to fit your largest lens, you can hold them in front of the smaller diameter lens if the camera is on a tripod. If you have/will buy step up/down rings, all the better.

It's nice to be able to put them behind the lens (inside the camera) but it's a religious argument as to whether that is necessary.

I agree that the most anyone can tell you is what they like. On T-Max 100 I usually use an 8 Yellow.
    If your architecture shots will have red-brick buildings, then a red filter might have a large effect. Otherwise, it depends on the color of the building.
    I looked at your B&W pictures, and I am not sure why you need contrast filters. You seem to be doing just fine.
    Yes, gelatins in both 3x3 and 4x4 are available. Check B&H and Freestyle. I have some of both sizes if you are interested. Drop me a line through my contact page at my website and I would be happy to send them to you to play with, and just send them back when you decide what you want to do. (Don't use them much because I got some resin filters)
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos