Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Amazon as Forum for obsolete Flash Bulb Holder battery WOW quick results!

Using Amazon as Forum for obsolete Flash Bulb Holder battery WOW quick results!

I wasn't going to post more tonight, BUT.

I have been playing with old Flash Bulbs and their holders. Seems the batteries are obsolete. This Agfa Flash uses a discontinued battery that's OVAL and the modern new one is SQUARE. An Amazon reviewer wrote the new battery would not fit his Leica Flash so I wrote on his review that I guess that meant it won't fit my Agfa Flash.

An hour later the computer beeps and he has posted. He took the outer covering off the battery, wrapped it in tape making it oval and it fits! I forgot that most batteries are round even if they look different.

Amazon, an old film camera Forum!

Eureka!

I also show a LawrenceWalsh FlashRule which is a wood slide rule for figuring out flash exposures.

The slide rule is handy as I have a variety of old bulbs. I'm going to need a few batteries. Like thishttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0023.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	131153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0021.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	131154
    Tin Can

Re: Using Amazon as Forum for obsolete Flash Bulb Holder battery WOW quick results!

If you need more bulbs check out http://www.meggaflash.com/http://www.meggaflash.com/

Re: Using Amazon as Forum for obsolete Flash Bulb Holder battery WOW quick results!

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Megaflash is cool, but expensive as is http://www.flashbulbs.com/index.shtml

Both are great if you have a paid project.

I buy off EBay and CL. I think I have a good supply now... ~1000 bulbs some huge, most small.

Usable data is short, like I can't find comparison between M2, M3, M5 which are most of my bulbs. I know B (Blue) coatings are for color and are 2 stops less power.

M3's are compared to P5 and P25 as almost equal on the M3 packaging.

My Sekonic L-758 meter does not read flash bulbs accurately.

So it's back to empirical testing. Soon...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Megaflash is cool, but expensive as is http://www.flashbulbs.com/index.shtml
    Both are great if you have a paid project.
    Bill Cress sells, or tries to sell to the motion picture industry. His prices reflect the bloat.

Usable data is short, like I can't find comparison between M2, M3, M5 which are most of my bulbs. I know B (Blue) coatings are for color and are 2 stops less power.
    It is easy enough to create tables that show the nominal guide numbers. Perhaps I'll start.

My Sekonic L-758 meter does not read flash bulbs accurately.
    Look for a early post of mine which shows that one CAN read flashbulbs from a flash meter, but you must use a meter with a cord connection because flashbulbs' onset is not as profound as electronic flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bill Cress sells, or tries to sell to the motion picture industry. His prices reflect the bloat.

It is easy enough to create tables that show the nominal guide numbers. Perhaps I'll start.

Look for a early post of mine which shows that one CAN read flashbulbs from a flash meter, but you must use one with a cord connection because flashbulbs' onset is not as profound as electronic flash.
    Thanks Jac! Soon.

I'm going to burn a roll of 35mm and take some serious notes. I hate making notes, I lose them...

But it's obviously necessary for this.

The first step was getting enough bulbs, wires and flash holders to play with...

Done!
    Tin Can

I know B (Blue) coatings are for color and are 2 stops less power.
    I didn't think the difference was that large, at least in my very informal tests. I'll run some more careful tests soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    I didn't think the difference was that large, at least in my very informal tests. I'll run some more careful tests soon.
    You are right, of course. With blue bulbs and B&W film the loss is not so great. Color? I cannot comment because I've never used bulbs with color.

To begin understanding the output of flashbulbs, we need to understand what lumen means,
    and how to compare lumen to output of modern flashes. I believe most modern, or later
    photographers will be amazed at first.

More in store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    To begin understanding the output of flashbulbs, we need to understand what lumen means,
    and how to compare lumen to output of modern flashes. I believe most modern, or later
    photographers will be amazed at first.

More in store.
    I am holding my breath. I see 7000 to 180,000 lumens for some flash bulbs.

eBay has this at $70 for one bulb...GE #75 Mazda WWII Flashbulb Powerful Atomic 180,000 Lumen Seconds Light Output

But I have a few 50's that I think are 70,000 lumens so i could pop 3 of those and get arrested in Chicago..

and I just found this, 100,000 Lumens for a #50! http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b...bulb~ansi.html
    Tin Can

[...] eBay has this at $70 for one bulb...GE #75 Mazda WWII Flashbulb Powerful Atomic 180,000 Lumen Seconds Light Output
    We GOTTA collaborate, which really means you guide me through my ignorance.

Randy, I have flashbulbs which I am afraid to trigger. Among them are the #75 Mazdas (only two) and another (I have a dozen) burn for 1.75 seconds which makes the Mazda a junior.

Don't you find it scarey?