Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead pipes and processing film/paper

Re: Lead pipes and processing film/paper

I have a friend that has done quite a bit of research on lead in water lines and the replacement of main lines from the city water supply. Long story short, you would have been better off not touching the main line. The typical procedure introduces all sorts of lead which was previousely covered in sediment. Not good for drinking but you knew that.

Thanks Vinny. I didn't have much choice but replace it. The tree roots from the huge cottonwood over it had deformed it significantly and it was leaking. I had been having water bills double my neighbors for a couple of years even though our yard was xeric and they had lawns. We knew there was a leak somewhere and narrowed it down to being the supply line under the tree.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I was always told in my days running swimming pools that if you were in a hard water area a deposit of lime scale was built up in the pipes and this protected the water flowing through the pipes from any harmful effects from the lead. I've seen evidence that shows that this is correct. Unless your water supply is acidic I really wouldn't worry.
    Pete.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Kirk,

You should post this question on APUG. Ron Mowrey, a former Kodak emulsions guy and very knowledgeable chemist, is a frequent contributor there. He would know the answer if anyone does. His APUG name is "Photo Engineer".

2 Bit Hack

I have the same questions but from the extreme quantities of lime (CaCo3). I have some contraption that ionized the water coming into the house which is suppose to reduce the lime from caking on surfaces. I also have filters on the drinking water. Nothing seems to make a difference.

I do know that Chlorine as a treatment in water high in organic mater can form trihalomethanes also a carcinogenic. It can be further processed with Aluminum. Bottom line is that there are many things in the water delivered to your house. Concerns with about archival processing should not be limited to lead.
    Regards

Marty

Marty, do you have a water softener? We have a lot of lime in our water. When we first bought a dish washer, it clogged up in about 6 months. The repair guy said, "This will happen again soon if you don't put in a softener." I also had some problems with toning lith prints at the time. I put in a softener, a Water Boss, and haven't had a problem since, either with the dish washer or toning prints, and it's been many years.

Be careful with filters. I damaged some film once after I put in a whole house filter. Small carbon particles from the filter fused with the film during processing.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Be careful with filters. I damaged some film once after I put in a whole house filter. Small carbon particles from the filter fused with the film during processing.
    That is very interesting and might explain another issue I have been having.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    That is very interesting and might explain another issue I have been having.
    Yes, very interesting! I might rethink the softener issue here.

My sympathies with the water bill, Kirk. I lived in Roswell and my water bill was greater than my monthly gasoline bill. Cottonwood trees are just evil water suckers, too. We have them here by the Mississippi River and they grow huge and fast; every other year a monster will fall on a house.

Back to the issue. Lead and particulates.

So I have two stage inline water filter. The first has charcoal and the second is a tightly wrapped string something. Charcoal particles shouledn't get past the second one should they? I use this setup but it only gets on the film for the wash (and mixing the fixer)-every other step is distilled water.
    http://www.h2odistributors.com/h2o-rus-200.asp
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Yes, very interesting! I might rethink the softener issue here.

My sympathies with the water bill, Kirk. I lived in Roswell and my water bill was greater than my monthly gasoline bill. Cottonwood trees are just evil water suckers, too. We have them here by the Mississippi River and they grow huge and fast; every other year a monster will fall on a house.

Back to the issue. Lead and particulates.
    I had no idea Roswell water was so expensive. When was this?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: