Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The great waterfalls (in far West) to drip, not gush this spring?

Re: The great waterfalls (in far West) to drip, not gush this spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Vaughn, when in April? BTW checked out the Yosemite Renaissance while we were there.
    Monday nite to Friday morning, April 13 to 17. Upper Pines Campground, site #67. Drop on by! (anyone, not just Jim!) I'll probably have the 8x10 and the 11x14 if there is room in the van...I'll have the Boys and my ladyfriend with me!

Can't believe I let another YR pass without entering! Well, things were too crazy to have attended the opening anyway (if I got into the show, lol!)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

So little snow means getting to skimpy waterfalls is easier than ever!

The NPS has just reported that in Washington state, Cayuse Pass (next to Mount Rainier) is set to open in 10 days (March 27). This dramatic pass usually opens in late May or June.

Records go back to 1935, and it has never opened in March. Never.

Another miracle – nearby Chinook Pass is set to open one week later.

Just don't let a sudden snow storm catch-and-trap you way up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Just don't let a sudden snow storm catch-and-trap you way up there!
    Good advice. It'd be a VERY long drive back to the west side (provided one of the Cascades' passes is open).

Drew Wiley

Here in Calif there has been some record heat. Usually even in a dry year the mtn temps will suddenly surge upwards in late May and early June. Since there is
    always a comparatively substantial amt of snow at high altitude, even drought years tend to have a very dangerous brief runoff in June. This year it might be
    a lot earlier and more gradual. Even around here where we get a lot of moisture from coastal fog, the streams already are almost dry. Unless there's a serious
    forest fires (if anything is still left to burn that hasn't in the past few years), I still plan to head up into Kings Can this summer. With headwaters well up above
    13000 or even 14000 ft, even in this driest of dry years there will still be plenty of drinking water in those canyons and lakes - just less mosquitoes and dangerous stream crossings. Horse dust on the main lower trails, however.... %$#$@@@!! (hoping for some good afternoon thunderstoms)

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Monday nite to Friday morning, April 13 to 17. Upper Pines Campground, site #67. Drop on by! (anyone, not just Jim!) I'll probably have the 8x10 and the 11x14 if there is room in the van...I'll have the Boys and my ladyfriend with me!

Can't believe I let another YR pass without entering! Well, things were too crazy to have attended the opening anyway (if I got into the show, lol!)
    Well, June is after me to enter again as well. Let me see if we can squeeze another few days in the park. Might be tough but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...I still plan to head up into Kings Can this summer. With headwaters well up above
    13000 or even 14000 ft, even in this driest of dry years there will still be plenty of drinking water in those canyons and lakes...(hoping for some good afternoon thunderstoms)
    If I am to get back up into the Yolla Bollys, it will have to be late May, perhaps early June. Always water around, but can be hard to find. I'll be heading up into the Trinity Alps for a couple of nights soon (first weekend in April)...at least there will be plenty of water around still.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

John Olsen

About waterfalls in the Northwest: I just spent two days at the Quinault N.P. on the Olympic Peninsula photographing waterfalls and cascades. Right now they're great, but then there was 4+ inches of rain the day before. If there was any more water I would have to have shot from further away. Go now, no reason to wait!
    Here's a quick digi-sample: my film is waiting to be developed tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quinaultweb.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	131073

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    Go now, no reason to wait!
    Your timing was perfect after the sudden rain, and your image in the Olympics is quite refreshing!

And your tip – "Go Now!" – is well heard.

For our governor (in Washington state) has just declared a drought for the Olympic Peninsula – and for a gigantic swath of the North Cascades too. (The declaration opens funding to address hardships for people due to so little snowpack and, as a result, so little water come spring and summer.)

I haven't heard if the funding will help LF shooters find waterfalls this season, but any assistance would certainly be welcome.