Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

joseph

Re: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

Yes Michael, I take your point-

I appreciate your valid arguments...

45-57-617

Personally, I'm a fan of the HZX series like the HZX810-Classic. Versatility is important to me.

Being an owner of three Shen Hao cameras I will admit there is nothing about them that is ready to rock-and-roll. I've spent a long time sorting out light leaks or reflections, alignment issues and adapting cameras to fit other accessories (like a Toyo compendium).

They are however an entry point into LF so I am thankful for that.

I also considered the HZX810 (I have a HZX57-IIA and I love it), but it has quite a bit more weight, and apart from rear rise and more bellow extension at the long end (both of which I don't think I need), I don't see much versatility advantage (but it IS a beautiful camera, but aren't they all ).

As I wrote, the Toyo stayed home because of the weight (it's only disadvantage, and sometimes it's an advantage), so I focused on a light camera that I would actually take with me. The one I used most at this moment is the PTB-45, because of the size and weight, and I easily take it with me in a small rucksack (Lowepro 300) with all the necessary small things). It will not be THAT easy with the 8x10, but I can try .

Stefan.

Just in case it hasn't been said... There's also a new Wilderness! the VI

Save $$---keep your Tachi and join a gym!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Sell the gym. Then you can afford an Ebony.

The Shen-Hao arrived ! It's a BEAUTY ! It's often said that's it's that Shen-Hao is a nice entry point in LF, but I don't see anything second-rate on this and I certainly prefer it over the Toyo.

The only "lesser" things I found out are:
    1) the way to have the back tilt backwards: there are two small screws on each side to be loosened to eliminate the stop and tilt it backwards; I wonder what will happen if I forget to fix these again (will they fall out sooner or later), and I will have to bring the right tool for it each time.
    2) there's only a bubble level for one direction. I bring one with me every time, but still, it would be helpful. Maybe I'll fix a second one myself.

Since it weights much less then the Toyo, it will surely see more of the outside world. I'm happy. Since I also have a 5x7 with a 4x5 reduction back, I'll make a 8x10 back for these two, so I can use all three formats with this camera :-).

Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    ....1) the way to have the back tilt backwards: there are two small screws on each side to be loosened to eliminate the stop and tilt it backwards; I wonder what will happen if I forget to fix these again (will they fall out sooner or later), and I will have to bring the right tool for it each time....
    The screws don't need loosening. They should be tight as originally. The little bolts slide back against the nylon friction washers under the screw heads. You slide them forward for the stays to hold the back at 90 degrees to the base and back to allow you to tilt the back backwards. If you loosened the screws you need to retighten them.

The spirit level arrangements are not ideal so I carry a tiny level originally sold for setting up turntables on traditional hi-fi kit and lay it on the top of the camera back when setting up.

RR

Stefan!
    Is your friends Chamonix still available? very interested if so.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Thanks all for your helpful replies.

I deciced to go with the Shen-Hao, since I have two Shen-Hao's already (PTB-45 and the HZX-something 5x7) and I have received excellent customer support from them directly from China with the PTB-45, although I bought it used ...
    The Chamonix was the best contender, but it was about 25% more expensive; maybe it is worth it, I don't know, but I trust the Shen-Hao will do the job :-).

I also received a great offer to buy a Chamonix 8x10 in great condition for an excellent price, but just 30 minutes after I payed for the Shen-Hao ! I hope the Shen will make me forget that offer :-).

Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post

There are any number of folding field cameras that do not require assembly.
    8x10 cameras that fold with the lens in place? Or putting the lens on is not 'assembly?' Attaching to the tripod is assembly or not? How about screwing in the cable release? Attaching the dark cloth? Putting film in the camera?

that all the Phillips copies never once addressed the issue of having to assemble the camera in the field.
    BTW the 'Phillips Style' Shen-Hao that is the topic of this thread folds without detaching the front standard.